PDA

View Full Version : When you are having 'one of those days'

mamaof4
07-08-2011, 09:13 AM
How do you deal? How do you not let it?

mom-in-alberta
07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I will tell my kids and d/c kids if I am feeling a little owly. We talk about how everyone can get into grumpy moods once in while. "I will do my best not to be grouchy with you, but please do your best not to do things that you know will bother me. I am working on feeling my happy self again!"
I think it's important to discuss that we all feel that way sometimes, but we still need to be respectful of others and follow the expectations that are set for us. Being moody is no reason to scream at others, call names, etc. It just means we may need a little space, or quiet time or whatever.
With the smallest ones, who don't understand that stuff yet, I make sure I take my breaks when I need them. It's not the worst thing in the world for them to play by themselves or have a few extra minutes in the high chair so that I can chill out for a little bit. I would rather that, than snap at a little person who isn't grasping what's wrong.
Maybe others have some better ideas, but for me; awareness is a big thing.

playfelt
07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Pretty much the same here. I am not feeling well or extra tired I just tell the kids. I let them know how our day will change because of it - like staying upstairs to play since I want to be closer to the bathroom or just don't want to deal with getting them all down and back up - carrying little ones up and down the stairs. Mostly overtired is what is wrong with me and every so often I will sit and close my eyes saying something like ok my naptime. We turn it into a little game with them telling me it isnt' naptime yet and I plead for please can't it be sleepy time. Then I am ok just needed a 5 minute break, lol.