PDA

View Full Version : May activities & mothers day gifts?

sweetness852010
04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
As we are nearing the end of April already(I feel like its the end march still) I dont know what themes to do for may. Anyone have ideas? They way i plan our calender is I have a theme everyweek my first week of may is the very hungry catterpillar week. And im clueless for the next of the weeks in may.
Also i was wondering what you have planed for mothers day? Do you already have a plan on what to give the moms? I need ideas

mimi
04-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Last year I purchased white t shirts at michaels (3 in a pack for 12.99 - 40%) and then had the older kids make a picture of their mom, the younger kids did hand print flowers and then transfered in onto the shirt. The mom's LOVED it so I am doing it this year with the older kids making a picture of their family and the younger ones will do the hand print flowers again.

apples and bananas
04-19-2013, 09:52 AM
That's a great idea mimi.

I was going to pick up some canvas and do handprint butterflies with the little ones and have the big ones just do pictures.

kelleyg19
04-19-2013, 11:35 AM
For Mother's Day I am getting canvas bags and the kids will make their hand prints on them, then we will be making different crafts (coffeee mug, a small flower pot, flower pictures) to put into the bag for a present.
Pinterest has been great for getting ideas.

playfelt
04-19-2013, 01:18 PM
The last couple of years we have baked for mom - the idea of being moms have to do most of it usually so this gave them a break. We started a couple weeks early and froze some of what we made for the gifts, ate some for snack and the rest was for my own family. I got trays from the dollar store and we arranged it all on the try and decorated with some silk flowers also from dollar store and they made a card.

We made a couple kinds of cookies, some no bake things, brownies, muffins.

For Father's day we made home made lemonade and put it in plastic bottles I got from the dollar store and two fancy summery glasses - that had lemons on them but came in two sizes so a big one for dad and a small one for the child. We also made some shortbread cookies and decorated them with sprinkles and such and put on a plate from dollarstore. The kids made coasters for the glasses - drew pictures on circles and then I laminated them.

2cuteboys
04-19-2013, 03:41 PM
In honor of earth day next week, were going to plant some bulbs, observe some seeds sprouting, and talk about my "icky" compost!

My goal is for the kids to watch the seeds and the bulbs (if they do anything), and them plant the seeds in my new vegetable garden - this will be an ongoing activity- and *in theory* give the bulbs to moms for Mother's Day... Though I'm a notoriously poor gardener, so we'll see how that goes.

My "plan" for the be t little bit is just to get outside and enjoy some sun and decent weather, though we're in a mini blizzard as I'm writing this...

Momof4
04-19-2013, 06:45 PM
We are celebrating Earth Day all next week as well and I haven't planned Mother's Day crafts yet but thanks for the wonderful ideas ladies. I sent a note home to all the parents asking for them to help their child look in their recycling and bring in small washed water bottles and anything else they think might be useful for a craft next week. Once I see our colleciton I'll figure out a craft or two. We also put on disposable gloves and take a black garbage bag outside to pick up littler once or twice.

Skysue
04-20-2013, 10:48 AM
We do picture frames every year and I put fun photos of the kids in the frame, the kids paint the boarder board and decorate the frame with beads, buttons and butterflies etc... We did a large boarder board a few years ago (photo below) and I put magnets on the back for Mommies fridge!

ladyjbug
04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
We just finished a theme about Robert Munsch, so our Mother's day gift is going to be with the verse from "Love you forever". Just painting a canvas blue with gold glittery stars, then their hand prints with the thumb and pointer making a heart, and then the verse glued in the middle (Love you forever, like you for always, as long as I'm living, my mommy you'll be" and their picture mod-podged on the side. I hope they like it. We are also doing Mother's Day interviews for the older kids to put in their cards which are so far going really well! So far, the answers are hilarious! Here is a link to the questions I am using if you want to go from there:
http://busytoddler.blogspot .ca/2009/05/mothers-day-interview.html

Last year we grew seed and painted flower pots to put them in, and made hand-made cards. They were really well received!

Next week we are going to do Earth Day activities. On one of the days I am having a litter scavenger hunt and they are going to help me find litter to pick up (they are not going to touch it, just me!), and then we are going to do crafts with recycled materials (caterpillars made out of egg cartons, melting old crayons into new ones, sensory bottles from bottles). We are also going to start a compost.

I haven't completely finished my May themes, but the first week is usually alway space so I can have a party on Star Wars Day (May 4th, as in, May the fourth be with you. :) ). Then we usually do a All About Moms theme week, and then a May flowers week. I think my caterpillars arrive the last week of may so I will make that week about "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and there are tons of fun activities on pinterest about that. :) Hope this novel of an entry helps you!

Skysue
04-20-2013, 03:01 PM
For artsandcrafts:

playfelt
04-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Was just going through a bin of spring stuff and came across another craft we did for moms one year. I have made some games the same way and bought some boxes of stickers come to think of it to make more that I haven't done - if anyone in Ottawa wants to come to a podgy party and trade stickers let me know.

Need: podgy(modge podge), metal juice lids, stickers of your choice (doesn't matter what is on the back of stickers or how old as you won't be activating the adhesive), peel and stick magnets

Pour a small amount of podgy into a dish or even onto a metal lid. Have child dip finger in the podgy (looks like white glue) and spread around the metal lid. Lay sticker of their choice in the middle. Carefull repeat spreading a layer of podgy on top of the sticker and especially around the edges but spread it evenly. Set aside to dry. You may want to spread another layer of podgy on once first layers are dry - especially if you are using the lids for a game. The more layers of podgy the stronger the seal. Add a magnet to the back. Colour a picture for mom on paper and send home - magnet will hold picture on the fridge.

This could also work for dads depending on the stickers used which is a good idea since dads tend to be harder to think of something for.

Artsand crafts
04-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you Skysue. I usually do hands or food prints in different materials for Mother's day, but this time I think I am making this one :)

Artsand crafts
04-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Sounds like we are doing 2 crafts for Mother's day. Thank you for sharing Playfelt... I like your magnet idea. I saw modge podge in Walmart that is suppose to have effects... It may look nice in your magnet...

kidzandme
04-22-2013, 11:14 AM
ladyjbug, May the fourth be with you!! Awesomely hilarious and creative. I will be doing this, thank you.

Artsand crafts
04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
I went to the dollar store during the weekend and found dome plain jewelry boxes (I was looking for plain picture frames to do skysue craft, but didn't find any). Anyhow, now my plan is for the kids to paint and decorate them and clue a picture of themselves inside the box... Thank you ladies for the good ideas...

Spixie33
04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
I am thinking of doing this....
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/art.asp?id=17196365&exhibit=486981&gallery=y

Would be cute to write on it "I love you to the moon and back"

or else
this http://supermomsteph.blogsp ot.ca/2012/03/valentine-picture.html

I cannot decide.....

SongSparrow
04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Some of the themes we will be exploring in May are:
Birds
Bugs
Planting Seeds
Farms
I hadn't given any thought to Mother's Day yet but knew I would have to soon.....thanks for all the great ideas!