PDA

View Full Version : Kleenex - do you ever ask parents to bring a box?

zen39
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
The only thing parents are required to bring to our daycare is diapers and wipes. I supply pretty much everything else. But one thing is really starting to bother me. I have one particular little girl who from the moment she started has been constantly sick and with runny nose. Her parents have a membership to an indoor play center and every time she goes there, she comes here sick again and again. In the last 5 weeks, she has only had a span of three days snot free. And when I say snotty, it's every 3 to 5 minutes, long strands hanging out of her nose. It's literally a box of kleenex a day with her.

I was thinking of telling parents that when their child has a runny nose for an excessive period of time, that they will need to supply a box of kleenex...is this unreasonable? It's just driving me crazy. I've gone through 5 boxes just in the last 2 weeks with her???

I've had this little one now for 8 months and she's only a handful of weeks where she hasn't been healthy. I know kids and runny noses, go hand in hand but this is way past that and I'm just getting frustrated.

Thanks for any input.

mom-in-alberta
07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Ugh, boogers...
I have a little guy who is easily the snottiest kid I have ever met. The same way, whether he is sick or having teething troubles. Don't even get me started on when he sneezes!! And I can handle poop and puke better than I do nose-goo!!! My husband thinks it's hilarious....
I would probably not, and have not asked parents to bring any in. Admittedly, I buy store-brand tissue, not the fancy stuff. I have even been known to use toilet tissue when needed. My impression is that if you start to ask for other things to be supplied, parents get cranky (ie. "I thought that was included in the cost" grumble grumble) I might put up a sign or a newsletter hand-out that states "If your child has a consistently runny nose, and you require a specific type of tissue, please supply (labelled with your last name)"

sunnydays
07-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure I would ask parents to provide kleenex, but I do empathize! My 5 are constantly needing nose wipes and I have one little darling who blows her nose into her hands repeatedly until her nose is clear...lovely...and she has taught the others to do it as well...just feel thankful if the boogers end up on the kleenex!

playfelt
07-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I stopped using kleenex and instead used toilet paper. I have a roll in each room we are in. The idea is I can grab a few squares, wipe and toss. Works really well on the little ones since their noses don't warrant a full kleenex which becomes wasteful. I use cottonelle mostly but any 2 ply should work. Three squares folded in half and in half again for most swipes.