PDA

View Full Version : Second hand smoke

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I have a little boy in my daycare that smells so strongly of cigarette that sometimes my eyes burn!
I don't understand how in this day and age a parent can smoke in their kid's face like that !
I don't have anything against smokers , I used to be one. But I NEVER smoked around my kids .
This poor little boy smells so bad. Even the other kids notice it : (
I guess there is not much I can do in this situation.... :(

Play and Learn
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Wash the kids face after parent leaves?

I would die as I am allergic to cigarette smoke....

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I wish it was that simple... his clothes , skin, hair, nails... everything smells! I once washed his snow suit 3 times and it still smelled.

Play and Learn
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Ewww....so gross. They probably smoke in the home and in the car then. Poor kid.

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
oh for sure.. the mom doesn't have a car so she must smoke a LOT at home : (
I was wondering... since you are allergic to cigarette smoke do you tell parents so as to not end up having an indoor smoke's child in your home ?
I am not allergic but it really , really bothers me ( sore throat, burning eyes etc.)I think I will ask parents when they call about any spots I have.

Play and Learn
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I state that I'm allergic to smoke and perfume - instant migraines. Haven't had a parent smelling of it.

In my manual I think I wrote that my home (one acre property) is smoke-free and perfume-free.

Although I do have one parent for my dance school that reeks of it. The parents don't usually come into the home unless I ask them to - thank god!

giraffe
02-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I dont allow children of smokers. I know it sounds mean but I have children in my care with allergies, I try to weed them out in the interview.

But, if one slipped in I would most likely change the childs clothes upon arrival... but it sounds like that option wont work for you (because of his skin/hair).

playfelt
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I would simply be upfront with the family and say that the smell of smoke is causing health issues and unfortunately you are going to have to terminate. Then discuss a timeline so that the family has plenty of time to look for alternate care. Presumably this is something that came up soon after the family came into care so they likely still have the names of other providers they interviewed as well as you as a provider may still be able to reach one of the other families you interviewed. Was the smell not an issue at the interview?

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I state that I'm allergic to smoke and perfume - instant migraines. Haven't had a parent smelling of it.

In my manual I think I wrote that my home (one acre property) is smoke-free and perfume-free.

Although I do have one parent for my dance school that reeks of it. The parents don't usually come into the home unless I ask them to - thank god!

ah , yes... perfume gives me migraines as well. Not very fun since everyone seems to wear it these days !
My contracts also state my home is smoke free but I never thought to add perfume free. Thanks : )
That's great that you don;t have any problems with the current parents you have!

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I dont allow children of smokers. I know it sounds mean but I have children in my care with allergies, I try to weed them out in the interview.

But, if one slipped in I would most likely change the childs clothes upon arrival... but it sounds like that option wont work for you (because of his skin/hair).

Yeah, the smell is really stuck on him and besides all his "spare clothes " smell just as bad.
I used to ask the parent if they smoked in their home during my phone interviews but I somehow forgot with this one . Won't be making that mistake twice!

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 07:07 PM
I would simply be upfront with the family and say that the smell of smoke is causing health issues and unfortunately you are going to have to terminate. Then discuss a timeline so that the family has plenty of time to look for alternate care. Presumably this is something that came up soon after the family came into care so they likely still have the names of other providers they interviewed as well as you as a provider may still be able to reach one of the other families you interviewed. Was the smell not an issue at the interview?

I had a sinus infection when he first came to visit and the first few days he was here! LOL Talk about bad timing right ??
The thing is I really like the little guy. He gets along great with the others and comes from a single parent family....he doesn't have a great home life etc.
Aside from the smell I love having him here:)
Also , I found out he might be leaving in a few weeks.
BUT I will not make this mistake again.:D

Stircrazy
02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
We should add that to the list of questions when we interview

"Does anyone in the home smoke"

Naftafia
02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
I am so happy to be reading this, as I never thought to check for that. I do have a smoke free daycare, but never considered the parents smoking in their home as a possible nuisance. I am too slightly allergic to smoke. I have one dad who smokes (not in the home or car) but when he comes to pick up his daughter, his smell lingers in the home...yuck! To sunflower, good luck sorting this one out, it's tricky but you have to think of yourself and the other kids primarily.

busybee
02-12-2011, 07:32 PM
A few years back I had a little girl that smelled like that.:eek:As soon as she came in my door she was stripped and put in the tub.I scrubbed her hair and body and went to the thrift store and bought a few sets of clothes in her size for her to wear in my home.:unsure:I tried to wash her clothes if i had time or in the nice weather at least hang them out. I have just discovered that all my children I currently have 1 or more of the parents smokes.:eek:Differen ce is I did not know,the children do not stink only 1 time one of their coats smelled so i simply placed it in out attatched garage till home time.In ontario is there not a law about smoking around children?:confused: I have never smoked but hubby used to and he would never consider being around children even out doors when smoking,I seen him even in a park 1 time walk away to the street to have a smoke.Thank goodness he quit that habbit 6 years ago and it is no longer a issue :D

susansmith
06-02-2020, 05:03 PM
Absolutely. you need to take this up with the parents. Kindly say .....I'm sorry.....can't look after anymore due to the smoke smell....Be honest. You owe it to the child....

Gibbon
10-04-2022, 10:30 AM
Second hand smoke is as dangerous as smoking itself. Especially for kids

EdwardHeavy
10-04-2022, 10:55 AM
I agree that second-hand smoking is a bad practice for non-smokers. I, for one, smoke every so often, and not just cigarettes but weed, and when I do it, I prefer to act responsibly. I leave an area with non-smokers and only then start the process. By the way, I buy weed in getgreen weed store (https://getgreen.shop/). If you are interested in it too, then I recommend you check their offers.