PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

torontokids
04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
My new daycare is doing really well and I am loving it! The thorn in my side however is the before and after care I am doing for a 6 year old. I told the mom I wouldn't be able to provide care past the end of the school year and found her someone else who only offers b&a. She met with the woman and thought she was nice but I know she loves my place and the program I offer. Now, this woman has a spot now. I told the mom before she met the other provider that if she needed to go with her now to secure his spot, that would be fine with me and I would not withhold her deposit. The boy has not met this woman however he has been clear with mom that he wants to stay with me. The dc mom is not in any kind of hurry to figure this out and really my preference would be for him to switch to this new program tomorrow. It would be better for him as well as there are other kids his age (mine are 3 and under) and the woman offers a summer program as well. How do I move this along? I will still have her 3 year old boy so I know it is more convenient for her to do one drop off but the b&a is negatively effecting my program as it messes with the natural schedule the group wants for snacks, naps etc. Any ideas?

Daycare123
04-29-2013, 12:13 PM
When she transfers her 6 year old- will her younger child not transfer as well? I find that most parents want both their children in one spot as far as childcare

torontokids
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM
No, the other daycare provider has another business she commits her time to during the day so she only does b&a. I was originally going to loose both kids as they are moving however the family really wants to keep their 3 y o with me.

Daycare123
04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Oh, well that works out well! Maybe mention to the mom, if you haven't already, that you think it would be good for the child to have access to peers his own age throughout the summer. In other words, have you encouraged mom to maybe transfer her older child sooner?

torontokids
04-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Yeah, she just isn't in any kind of hurry. He ends with me end of June before the summer so she could end up screwed if she doesn't find something. I already filled her kid's spot.

gramma
04-29-2013, 01:21 PM
My new daycare is doing really well and I am loving it! The thorn in my side however is the before and after care I am doing for a 6 year old. I told the mom I wouldn't be able to provide care past the end of the school year and found her someone else who only offers b&a. She met with the woman and thought she was nice but I know she loves my place and the program I offer. Now, this woman has a spot now. I told the mom before she met the other provider that if she needed to go with her now to secure his spot, that would be fine with me and I would not withhold her deposit. The boy has not met this woman however he has been clear with mom that he wants to stay with me. The dc mom is not in any kind of hurry to figure this out and really my preference would be for him to switch to this new program tomorrow. It would be better for him as well as there are other kids his age (mine are 3 and under) and the woman offers a summer program as well. How do I move this along? I will still have her 3 year old boy so I know it is more convenient for her to do one drop off but the b&a is negatively effecting my program as it messes with the natural schedule the group wants for snacks, naps etc. Any ideas?

The tough part of our business is just being upfront with parents. This situation isnt working for you and you have gone above and beyond to find another daycare location for him. You have to come right out and tell her that you are no longer able to provide the right environment for her 6 year old and that you are prepared to give XX weeks notice however if she wants to move right to the other provider that you will return her deposit or whatever you want to do. If she loves you, your going to have to push her out or she'll never leave. Why would a 6 year old want to be with a group of kids under 3 anyway.

playfelt
04-29-2013, 01:26 PM
One good arguement to use is that switching before the end of the school year allows the child time to get to know the other kids at the daycare before suddenly having to spend his entire days with them. That way he has time to form friendships.

Also the space at the other daycare won't last long as other families will be looking for summer care too.

torontokids
04-29-2013, 09:20 PM
So I spoke to the mom about having him switch sooner then later (she kept saying, well after the school year...) I had to be very clear that I meant ASAP, I'm done. I think she gets it but she keeps making it about her ex and saying that he needs to approve it first etc. I will check in with her again in a couple days.

momofnerds
04-30-2013, 08:04 AM
sounds like she's procastinating so there won't be a spot and then you will end up with boy. I totally get what your saying. All my kids are under 4 and I like it that way. I don't want schoolagers anymore. I have one mom who I hope she sends her kid somewhere else, he's 8 and I don't want to watch him as he doesn't get along with any of the kids, and mine don't like him.