PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who doesn't do outings?!

DaycareLady
05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi ladies, I am curious if there are any other providers that don't do any outings- be it park, library, drop in, beach, etc. Anyone else just stay put?

I am feeling kind of guilty that I can't get out for these types of outings. I did buy the choo choo wagon and we do little nature walks from time to time but for the most part we are just here. I know a few providers that do library and drop in weekly and although I would love to have something to break up the week, it just isn't possible. I have a larger group because my own 2 little ones are with me as well and I don't drive as my husband takes out only vehicle.

Maybe I am just feeling guilty because I was off last summer with my two on mat leave and we lived at the park/beach! I also feel bad that my children are missing out on all the fun things we used to do like library group, music class and drop in.

torontokids
05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm with you. I only do the library/park on days when my group is smaller as I have 2 of my own. We used to go to the school playground after picking up the 6 yo from school but since I had a new baby start this week that just doesn't make sense/feel safe to me anymore.

Fun&care
05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I don't go out. And I don't feel bad about it. My dcp actually like that about me. We have lots to do here, backyard with all the toys we could want so we stay put...I don't thin i will even go to the park this year as I have 4 under 2 years old and I just don't think I have enough eyes for that many toddlers. But like I said lots of parents prefer that as its just safer.

playfelt
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I do not do outings and make that very clear to parents at interviews. Many choose me because of that. It means infants can have undisturbed morning naps as long as they need them. Our days are not wasted with travel time. We have a yard with things to do and a playroom that rivals most drop ins. Toddlers parallel or solo play anyways so there is no need to dump them in a room with 20 others.

For the same reasons I don't do school age either so once child starts JK they move on. If you have an older group they might actually appreciate some of the outings. Often it is the adult that wants to be out more than the kids do. They are quite content to stay at home.

There will be plenty of trips to the fire station and museum etc once kids are in school. Besides I feel these are things that a parent deserves to do with their child just as we did them with our own.

torontokids
05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Just wanted to add that my kids all prefer to stay at the DC in the backyard as well and I think it would be more for me if we ventured out.

DaycareLady
05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Thank you, I appreciate these responses! I think I put too much pressure on myself but partly because my almost 3 year old is a handful most days that I feel like maybe I am not doing a good job! I have three 1 year olds and 2-3 two year olds (depending on day) and just don't feel comfortable taking them all out just to say I did! I think I will call grandma to come take my son to the park once a week this summer lol thanks ladies!

dodge__driver11
05-01-2013, 02:00 PM
My outting happens once a month, and we have outdoor time, but no I do not do outtings on a regular basis.

apples and bananas
05-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I don't go out. I might venture to the park on a day I have 2 or less. But I honestly just prefer to stay home. I live on a farm so we go for "walks" daily, but it's on our property. There are tons of things to do here.

Wonderwiper
05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't go on outings per se. If it is nice out I load everyone into the wagon and we go for a walk every morning. Other than my oldest daughter who is 3, the rest of my crew is less than 16 month. Dd walks for exercise and the rest love going for a wagon ride. We don't go anywhere in particular and and they stay in the wagon. I let the little ones loose in the yard after nap so they get to run/crawl around! The walk keeps me from getting cabin fever even though I am still on my own. I don't think the kids are missing out on anything.

Sandbox Sally
05-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't go on outings all the time. We will go to the playground, or walk around the neighbourhood, but not out to museums or kindergym or anything. I do this occasionally, if I only have 2 or 3 kids on certain days, but since we moved to the suburbs and I have to drive everywhere, it is a real challenge, and something that I am less comfortable doing than when we lived in the city and everything was within a 5 min walk.

I don't think it's necessary. I do think it's necessary to get out every day, but I don't think you have to leave your yard for the kids to be educated and for them to have fun.

Momof4
05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Daycarelady, if I had a great back yard I wouldn't have to go on as many outings, but I don't have that and I'm sure if I saw your backyard I would die from envy. Don't worry about a thing!

mommylove
05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
I go to the park everyday 2 times a day lol.....only because I have nodda in my yard as we just moved here in september.......The park I go to is a popular park and its 1 min walk from my front door there are TONS of kids and daycare providers there I actually went today and there were 3 dcp with all there kids chatting there and it was craziness felt very unsafe....I have a small group 2 dcks and 1 my own then after school 2 more summer I will be full and I can tell you right now I will not be going to the park we will be spending our summer in my backyard its just not safe at all. I was actually sad seeing all those kids there and all the dcp talking kids were hitting eachother biting falling off stuff wondering and the dcp just drank there coffees we really need to think about why its important to get out and by the looks of it 90 percent of the time its the dcp needing to socialize its not in the best interests of the kids.

sunnydays
05-01-2013, 07:14 PM
mommylove: I go to the park pretty much daily in good weather, but I go early and leave early and we are usually alone, which is great! I love meeting other providers at the park if there is just one...but once it gets too crowded, it is really too difficult to watch the kids properly. I go at 9am and leave by 10:30 just when everyone else is arriving. We also miss the hot sun and are home in time to have an early lunch and early nap and then in the afternoon we play in my backyard as well. Other than the park, I no longer do other outings as I no longer drive with the daycare (used to before I was full but now they don't all fit in my van including my own daughter). I miss getting out in the winter and seeing other people, but I sure don't miss getting all those kids in and out of the van or trying to make sure they all behave, stay safe, etc while at the library, museum, etc. I think it is easier with a smaller group and/or slightly older kids, but with mainly babies and toddlers it becomes an exercise in patience...LOL. I do miss librarytime though as we had a fantastic librarian who did the best toddlertime ever and it actually kept the kids so enthralled that they stayed completely involved for the entire 30 minutes. I do not miss playgroups...or germ sharing parties as I thought of them...I didn't really feel the kids got much out of them (other than extra colds and flus...LOL).

Skysue
05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi ladies, I am curious if there are any other providers that don't do any outings- be it park, library, drop in, beach, etc. Anyone else just stay put?

I am feeling kind of guilty that I can't get out for these types of outings. I did buy the choo choo wagon and we do little nature walks from time to time but for the most part we are just here. I know a few providers that do library and drop in weekly and although I would love to have something to break up the week, it just isn't possible. I have a larger group because my own 2 little ones are with me as well and I don't drive as my husband takes out only vehicle.

Maybe I am just feeling guilty because I was off last summer with my two on mat leave and we lived at the park/beach! I also feel bad that my children are missing out on all the fun things we used to do like library group, music class and drop in.

I don't drive anywhere with my kids as I don't like the liability. We do park visits, walks to the beach but we don't stay long as water and kids freaks me out, we usually go to feed the ducks then on to the park for a picnic then park for play. We do nature walks and backyard fun. I am close to the beach but wouldn't go swimming with 6 kids.

You can have amazing fun this summer right at home, the library has teachers kits you can sign out that gives you lesson plans, themes, storybooks etc... You could have kindermusic come, or do it yourself. My kids love dance and dress up time.

You can set up a kiddie pool or slip and slide for the kids, I never put too much water in and always get a pool with a sprinkler built in, water balloons are great fun, water guns, homemade water table, we add bubbles to ours and the kids love it.

To make a homemade water table you can buy the roll under the bed storage bins:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rolling-Underbed-Storage-with-chalkboard/12347770

Set up tents in the yard for camping day! Have a scavenger hunt day, we make pet rocks, paint sticks that we find in the forest like snakes for Mom's garden, make tee shirts, have sleep over pj day for rainy days. Heck sometimes we put our swim suits on and run around in the rain!

You will have an amazing Summer just think like a kid and have a ball. You can even have jumping castle fun, just borrow one from someone!

playfelt
05-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Our childcare association just shared a ministry of Ontario memo that basically bans anyone from having a pool including a blow up kiddie pool or any open water near their daycare children. It applies to centres and providers with agencies but is of course only highly recommended that the rest of us that are private follow the same rules.

Crayola kiddies
05-02-2013, 06:46 AM
I don't go on outings either .... I live in the country so an outing would require putting them in a van and I'm not taking on that added liability. I have lots of outdoor toys and several play structures and lots of space. We are outside in the mornings for about an hour in the winter and several hours the rest of the year.

Skysue
05-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Our childcare association just shared a ministry of Ontario memo that basically bans anyone from having a pool including a blow up kiddie pool or any open water near their daycare children. It applies to centres and providers with agencies but is of course only highly recommended that the rest of us that are private follow the same rules.

All of my toddlers take swimming lessons and mine are all close to 3 years old, with that said my children are never ever left unattended even for a few seconds when my pool is set up. One needs my help in the bathroom we all go! I can see why centre's need to follow these rules as there child ratios are extremely high. Its really sad what happened in Orleans a few years ago and it really sucks when irresponsible
Providers ruin it for the rest if us. Also its a really good example for us on how we must always be safe and responsible.

mimi
05-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Regarding pools, last year my age group were 21/2 to 4. I had the larger blow up pool out. If I could not supervise this area, even for a few moments, the kids were out of the pool and the heavy plywood cover went on. This year my group is younger, so the little kiddie pool will be out with a plywood cover for it also. Water and kids freak me out too.

DaycareLady
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
love these and all the great ideas! thanks everyone!!

briar_rose
05-03-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't usually go to the park when I have all 5 DCK's here. We tend to just play in the backyard at that point since I have two of my own too. I think it's also a safety thing. I do have the choo choo wagon but watching 7 kids at the park or library is hard to imagine unless they were all school age.