PDA

View Full Version : Socks ?? What is your take?

Spixie33
07-21-2011, 12:49 PM
So I am struggling with this right now. I think socks are more sanitary for everyone to wear at daycare. I mean...most indoor playgrounds require them for a reason - right? And we go to the park where there are wood chips and possible slivers so I like them.

But I feel kind of torn asking everyone to wear them when it is so hot.

Does your daycare have a rule on socks or not? Or do you just go with the flow either way?

Skysue
07-21-2011, 12:52 PM
In centres there are close to 100 kids a day using the floors, equipment etc... All my kids take there socks off even in the winter! LOL I wash my floors everyday as well!

Tinkerbell
07-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I do slippers in winter or indoor flip flops/crocs/sandals in the summer. I do insist on something on their feet. I also ask that parents leave a set of each here (so they're not forgotten). The kids actually get a kick out of having to get these out of their cubby/putting them away every day.

Spixie33
07-21-2011, 01:32 PM
In centres there are close to 100 kids a day using the floors, equipment etc... All my kids take there socks off even in the winter! LOL I wash my floors everyday as well!

I hear ya on the floor washing. i do it every day too :(
But we have carpeted play areas and our play mat and I just don't feel right that everyone's feet are on everything. It doesn't seem as hygenic to me. The parents have been great at remembering to send socks and when kids take them off during nap I make a little game/song of putting them back on.

Maybe it is just me:ohmy: :p

mom-in-alberta
07-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Ohhhhh, I am thinking I am way more "lax" about this than some of you. I have zero feelings on socks whatsoever. I, myself, am barefoot pretty much from April to October, lol. (I loves my pedis, for that reason!!)
If a child comes in socks, then I do insist that they wear them, usually. Mommy or Daddy put them on for a reason, and even though I know it's normal for one year olds to try and strip off whatever they can, it's just a pet peeve of mine. It drove me crazy with my own kids, too! But if they are barefoot when they get here, it's fine with me.
I don't feel like feet are all that dirty, especially on little kids. Unless of course you've been running around in something icky. But if we are outside, then we all have shoes on, and I ask that parents have sensible shoes/sandals for their children. I specifically ask for no tiny flip-flops!! Cute, but not practical at daycare.

playfelt
07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
My kids all wear socks and runningshoes in the house and they are a pair left at my daycare just for use inside as in never been on any floors but mine. The house is air conditioned and if anything the floors are cooler in summer than they are in the winter. I do it for the safety of toes. We run, kick balls, jump and play in such a way that toes can get stepped on or have things dropped on them. The running shoes just make for less tears all around. In school they must have indoor shoes for the same reasons so they just get used to it. I will allow those silly robeeze slippers that cost twice as much as running shoes if a parent insists but tell them what the shoes are for and by age 2 they must be in runners so we can do all of our games like kicking which yes we play soccer in the house. We jump and need protection for tender foot bones. No body goes to the gym to work out in their sock feet - they wear expensive runners with shock absorbers etc. Just think what a child's feet are going through in the course of a normal day of play. But that is just me. Sandals allowed if the toes are closed in and child must have been walking securely for at least several months ie stable. Crocs ok but again not my favourite.

We have hardwood in the playroom upstairs although there is an area carpet on it but no underpad as I didn't want it raised in such a way there could be tripping on the edges, the kitchen is ceramic, playroom in the basement is carpeted. Running shoes just work for me and no one has complained about it.

Play and Learn
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Ohhhhh, I am thinking I am way more "lax" about this than some of you. I have zero feelings on socks whatsoever. I, myself, am barefoot pretty much from April to October, lol. (I loves my pedis, for that reason!!)
If a child comes in socks, then I do insist that they wear them, usually. Mommy or Daddy put them on for a reason, and even though I know it's normal for one year olds to try and strip off whatever they can, it's just a pet peeve of mine. It drove me crazy with my own kids, too! But if they are barefoot when they get here, it's fine with me.
I don't feel like feet are all that dirty, especially on little kids. Unless of course you've been running around in something icky. But if we are outside, then we all have shoes on, and I ask that parents have sensible shoes/sandals for their children. I specifically ask for no tiny flip-flops!! Cute, but not practical at daycare.

Same feelings as mom-in-alberta. The kids wear slippers in the winter time, but that's because the floors are cold in the basement. In the summer, bare feet all the way! It's freakin hot here!

I ask that shoes that they wear are easy for me to put on and off (I have infants and toddlers), and if they're buying sandals their toes MUST be protected.

sunnydays
07-21-2011, 08:31 PM
I am with mom-in-Alberta and Play and Learn: bare feet are just fine with me and I really don't feel there is a problem with them being unsanitary. If they come in socks I leave the socks on, but if the child takes them off and it is hot, I leave them off until we go outside. I wouldn't want my child to have to wear shoes all day, but as a parent, I wouldn't have a problem with socks if my daycare provider asked them to wear them.

lilac
07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Never crossed my mind. I too am barefoot in my house all the time, often in the winter as well. In the winter the kids wear their socks and sometimes slippers.

BCParent
07-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Funny, I was thinking about kids and barefeet today. Normally I wouldn't care but I have one 2 1/2 year old boy who's feet reek so bad they make me wanna gag. I'd like him to wear socks but his Momma doesn't like him to wear them because his feet get 'hot'. I think I'll just put a pair on anyway.

zen39
07-22-2011, 08:23 AM
I have no issues with no socks. I too go sockless all summer long. Kids feet are probably cleaner than their hands that they stick into their mouths, up their noses anyways.

If parents bring them with socks, and if they don't mind, I often take them off, because my little ones like to do that and hide them anyways. They can wear soft slippers if they want, but no running shoes allowed. Too easy for little fingers to get stepped on. I wouldn't mind if they are older, but with young ones that are on the floor mostly, it's just not a good idea.

Skysue
07-23-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't have carpet but also have play mats and I wash them 3 times a day, add a few drops of tea tree oil to your wash water/soap and it's a natural disinfectant, or 1/2 cup of peroxide to your water.
I also make all kids wipe there feet with wipes before entering the house they get washed by me if too young.

I supose I'm relaxed as we play in the yard in our bare feet! After all it's summer!

I hear ya on the floor washing. i do it every day too :(
But we have carpeted play areas and our play mat and I just don't feel right that everyone's feet are on everything. It doesn't seem as hygenic to me. The parents have been great at remembering to send socks and when kids take them off during nap I make a little game/song of putting them back on.

Maybe it is just me:ohmy: :p