PDA

View Full Version : Termination and contract

torontokids
05-15-2013, 12:46 PM
So my contract states one months notice (what was I thinking?) by the parent and provider. I did this because I wanted a months notice from parents and if they give it then their 2 week deposit goes toward their last 2 wks. If they do not give a month then the deposit is forfeited. I guess I did not know how to demand a month from them but then only require giving them 2 wks notice.

Can I give 2 wks notice to a family and not hold their deposit but apply it to those 2 weeks? I am giving notice to my screecher's family today but I am not sure I can last another month of this. My plan is to tell them that he has 2 wks to turn it around or he is discharged. I guess I could give a months notice but if he turns around in 2 wks I won't terminate? I don't know.

playfelt
05-15-2013, 01:33 PM
I have a month's notice for the same reasons as you gave. I would give the notice now with the idea that if things turn around totally in two weeks you will revisit but if not the termination stays in effect. I would leave it at that and say nothing about the deposit at this time - many parents almost forget they did that. That way they are more likely to just pay for the current two weeks and then you can remind them that the termination will stay in effect and oh by the way I will use your two week deposit towards those weeks.

If you just want him gone then give notice and let them know they can leave anytime without giving additional notice and use the 2 week deposit and hopefully they find care before the month is up and leave early on their own.

sunnydays
05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
This is why I have a clause in my contract that I can terminate without notice should it be deemed in the best interest of me, the other kids, or my family. This covers a whole lot of bases..LOL. I guess if you made your contract that way then you have to give one month, but maybe you could encourage them to look for other care sooner than later and tell them if they leave sooner that you will return their deposit?