PDA

View Full Version : Circle time / routines...

Amateur Owner
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm trying to incorporate circle time with my 2 tot boys (17/18 months). They are very active and don't seem to sit still or throw a tantrum if they know I'm starting (usually with tapping thighs - cue for them to sit down in a little circle with me.

They have very short attention spans I find. Art time lasts about 2 - 3mins. If they're on the table and not in high chairs for snacks they get out and run around etc.

Is it me, or do boys take longer to listen?

Play and Learn
02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Do you have a special spot for them to sit? A carpet or a cushion? A name tag to sit behind? It's going to take time, yes, boys are very active, but continue on your circle time, and try to get them included in your circle time.

Also, try not to force anything on them. If they are ready to sit down, they will come and sit with you at circle time.

Good luck!

giraffe
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I would just keep at it. Keep it short and simple and make sure that you have lots of "action" songs (Sleeping Bunnies, Hokey Pokey, Fast/Slow Song). They may not join in at first but after a few weeks/days you may find that they start singing (or doing the actions to the songs) to themselves. They may not be participating but usually they are listening and watching. Give it time...

At my house we do 2 -3 short circle times per day (5 - 10min). Usually before a transition, before snack, before lunch and before home time.

playfelt
02-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I usually start the intro to circletime by doing storytime while they are at the table eating snack - a small dish with dry cereal works really well for this. Make sure it is a narrow enough top that they need to reach in and get one at a time to take longer and it helps them to concentrate. Then when the story is done I try to do something related to the story. If it works we continue and if not circle time ends with the story. I sneak in the lessons here and there during play so they do "circletime" they just don't know it. I don't do a theme of the week or anything like that but take the lead from them, the seasons, etc. For instance I would see them playing with the firetruck and then get a book about firetrucks and a dalmation dog counting activity. Then go and ask them if they wanted to do the story with me. If the answer is no I either walk away or sit down near them and read the story anyways and generally they will stop and come and interact with me. I don't worrry about having them come and sit in circle and do what we would think of as a usual circletime till they are closer to 2 1/2 as in the year before they will go to school.

Amateur Owner
02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions, will start trying them out ASAP & let you know how it goes:)