PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep kids items at your home or send daily?

DaycareLady
05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Just wondering what other providers do with daycare children's personal items (diapers, wipes, cream, spare set of clothes, etc). Do you have space to keep them at your home and have parents restock when needed or do you have them send supplies daily in a bag?

I used to have a separate room for sleeping, toy storage and changing so I just had a large shelf with all daycare kids supplies but we just switched around all the rooms this weekend and no longer have a spare room. Right now the large shelf is in my daughters room but I would really love to make her room special and honestly, when I "close" I would like as much daycare stuff cleaned up and put away as possible! Even if that means setting up playpens daily and having them tucked in closest at the end of the day. I have a playroom where I have tons of toys out all the time, I would like to claim back some of the rest of my house if possible!

Do you think parents would have a problem sending a bag daily? Even if their child is full time?

Wonderwiper
05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
I think it would be a huge pain for both the parents and you to have to deal with supplies all the time!!!

If you have closet space for playpens why couldn't you make something to hold supplies in there? A small set of plastic drawers, dollar store bins etc. make great cubbies without using a lot of room!

sunnydays
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I think I would find it more of a pain to have everything brought back and forth every day...and you would still have to have somewhere to keep all the diaper bags that is near your changing area so you have access to their diapers etc. That said, I do accept cloth diapers, and for those clients, obviously the diapers come back and forth every day and it isn't a big deal. But I have bins for each child and a huge shelf right beside my change table to keep extra supplies etc. Could you set up a shelf by your changing area? Or have a changing table with shelves underneath where you can stock enough diapers for the day and put the rest in a closet?

monkeymama
05-21-2013, 12:24 PM
My hubby built me some cubbies in my front hall closet- they are accessible for the kids which is nice. All my FT kids leave a supply of everything here. MY two PT bring a bag with what is needed for the day. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I have everything I need at any given time. Its nice to close the closet door tho and not have to see it all

playfelt
05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I have a wooden utility type cupboard at the front door that has a bin in it for each child to keep changes of clothes, indoor shoes, sunscreen etc.

I have a 5 drawer plastic drawer tower near the change table that I store the diapers in for each child and any extra that don't fit in the drawer go in their cubby till needed. I provide the baby wipes so only one container at a time.

I detest the diaperbag method because it means I have to get into the bags every morning and stock up the change area or always go to the door to get their bag to change them and it becomes extra steps Now I just go to the change table and it is all there. The drawers of diaper can be rolled into a closet or laundry room at the end of the day if you needed to.

There is always the problem of mom not sending enough diapers for the day and you running short too.

AmandaKDT
05-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I think the daily bag back and forth works well for older kids - ones out of diapers. It doesn't make much work for the parent because unless the kid got really dirty or had an accident their change of clothes just stay in the bag. But I also have parents provide lunch and snacks, so they need to bring that everyday anyway.

I also use a dresser to store stuff, one drawer per child, as well as a rolling cart for diapers and wipes.

I did the daily backpack for my own daughter when she was going to daycare and didn't mind doing it.

Crayola kiddies
05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
I have a 5 drawer tower also. each child has their own drawer that I keep the spare clothes wipes, creams, and one week of diapers in. I have a utility room off my play room where I have a big shelf to store the cases of diapers and wipes. I think it would be worse to have all the diaper bags hanging around.

DaycareLady
05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
thanks everyone!! great points!!

Big Hearts
05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
I have one family that brings a days worth of diaper every day but keeps clothes, wipes and cream at daycare. But for the most part parents bring me a bag of diapers, wipes and cloths and I keep it all here. When they run low I send home a note. I have a plastic drawer unit in the hall that has wide drawers and each child has one with his/her name. I can store a lot of stuff in it.

Momof4
05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
I have a cupboard with doors on the front and the top two shelves have the children's diapers, wipes, with one set of extra clothing at all times. The rest of the shelves hold books and smaller toys. I like it that the doors are closed and I don't see it. But I have parents send a supply of diapers every Monday so they don't forget. I tell them when I need anything else replaced.

I have 2 families who send cloth diapers so they come in a backpack daily. If you want to implement that system with disposables I don't see why it wouldn't work? As long as the parents remember to top up the diapers in the backpack and you don't have a day where they have forgotten to put any in there. You run that chance with busy parents.

I have drawstring bags in my hallway on pegs for sunhats in the summer and extra hats and mitts in the winter. Could you make up some drawstring bags that are pretty colours to hold your diapers and wipes?

DaycareLady
05-21-2013, 08:54 PM
thank you everyone!! Love these ideas!