PDA

View Full Version : Dcg development

monkeymama
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
I have a 16m dcg who has been with me since she was 11 months old....she is the easiest little thing to take care of. Good eater, good sleeper, rarely cries etc...I am starting to get a little concerned tho. She doesn't speak at all, not one single word. Never even grunts or makes non-descript sounds. She only responds sometimes when I say her name. She doesn't seem to understand when I instruct her to do something ie. "please go get your shoes" "where is the ball" etc.....I have watched a lot of children and they all develop at their own pace...she is only with me 2x week and I don't believe socializes with any other children or adults besides her time with me so that may account for a lot it....at what point do you bring something up with the parents? I am starting to get concerned, meaning I am not noticing much improvement since she started with me, but I am not overly concerned nor am I sure there even is a problem....suggestio ns?

playfelt
05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
I find 18 months is the turning point when you start to see a child move to the next developmental level that includes language and socializing which is also part of following instructions to a certain extent. A lot of what kids do before this point is learned responses like we put shoes on after snack.

She may just be very shy since she is with the group so little. More doctors are doing more thorough exams including developmental checklist at the 18 month check up. I let the one I have go to this point hoping the doctor would say something to mom and he did. She is now being monitored and will be reassessed in 3 months.

mimi
05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I have a happy, active, social just turned 2 dcg and not a word does she speak. Her parents and I encourage speech but she just doesn't feel like it right now.

Artsand crafts
05-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Einstein started to speak when he was 3 years old :D... She will be assessed by her doctor when she is 18 months as Playfelt mentioned... My son was 6 months ago...

Momof4
05-22-2013, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't worry yet, however I had a boy who was 26 months who was just as slow with understanding instructions or socializing with others and the parents wouldn't listen to me. If I were you I would keep trying and talk to the parents about stimulating their child on the days she's home with them. Maybe provide them with some pamphlets or links for them to read. Do you have the Nippissing Assessment?