PDA

View Full Version : Whining walker

JennJubie
05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
My 3.5 yo dcg has tonnes of energy. I've watched her go, go, go. She'll play in my back yard or the playground until the cows come home. But every time we're walking, be it to or from the park, or around the block, she's whining about it. "My feet hurt... I'm tired.... I want to go back to your house... I don't want to walk..." When she starts whining I just tell her that walking is good for us, or that we're almost there, or something along those lines. I'm not going to lie, I have minimal patience for whining.

Anyway, is this just an 'I don't want to' issue on her part? I'm thinking that if she has the energy to play and run around the yard like she does, she should be able to handle a walk around the block!

mimi
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
You nailed it...........she is a whining walker. I've had a couple. They want to run and play on their own terms and walking with a group is confining to these active kiddies. I don't know how many times I have called out "walking feet" to this type of child as if I let them walk on there own accord they run.
I have a wagon with a canopy, and if their is whining they must hold onto the rod of the canopy or hold my hand. I just tune them out. It is tough, but once they realize it isn't getting them anywhere, they usually stop. Usually:rolleyes:

Momof4
05-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Nope, I don't allow whining of any kind, didn't allow it with my own children and don't allow it in the daycare. Nipping it in the bud is important and pointing it out to the parents helps too. Tell the parents that you want to help their child to grow up to be someone that everyone else in the world would want to be around and be with. That usually gets their attention.