PDA

View Full Version : Naps

torontokids
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Do you all leave them until your clock says for example 2:30 or are you flexible with this? My DCkids have been waking up a bit before the end of nap and I am leaving them until nap time is over but I am worried I am being inflexible especially since they all slept. I don;t want to train them to wake early though either, this is why I am leaving them. Thoughts?

sunnydays
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I do the same as you torontokids. They learn to just play quietly in their beds until naptime is over. If I get one up, it will wake everyone up as they are all in the basement..this doesn't seem fair to those who are sleeping. I think if you start getting them up early then they will learn that they can cry and you will get them up...naptime may get shorter and shorter.

Crayola kiddies
05-22-2013, 01:53 PM
mine stay in their pnp's till naptime is over.....I agree with sunny ..naptime may get shorter and shorter if you let them up

monkeymama
05-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I leave them. All my dck sleep in the same room, so on some days that is 5 kids at once...There is usually one or two who wake earlier but that still means there is 3 not ready to get up yet.

Judy Trickett
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Yep, you leave them. My nap time is my naptime and EVERY kid lays down and stays there until naptime is over. There is nothing wrong with this. It helps them build patience and builds on their ability to self-soothe and self-entertain. Quiet, awake, alone time is VERY important for all people, children and adults for good mental health. I think far too few people take time out of their day to be awake and reflective.

KellyP
05-22-2013, 02:24 PM
We don't have nap time, we have rest time. That way NONE of the kids think they can get up just because they are awake.

They aren't allowed to get up off their mats/cots until I invite them to do so.

I agree with Judy.....Kids need quiet, alone awake time...it IS good for their mental health. (and mine)

Judy Trickett
05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
We don't have nap time, we have rest time. That way NONE of the kids think they can get up just because they are awake.

They aren't allowed to get up off their mats/cots until I invite them to do so.

I agree with Judy.....Kids need quiet, alone awake time...it IS good for their mental health. (and mine)

Yes, in my care we call naptime "quiet time" and it uses that terminology in my contract as well. I use the words "quiet time" so that no parent of child can say they don't want to "nap". Fine, you don't have to "nap" but you DO have to remain quiet and laying down. ;)

crafty
05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Same here ... Kids stay on their matts or in their beds until nap time is over. I sometimes kinda feel guilty but it IS best for everyone and so I offer no flexibility at all.

JennJubie
05-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Yep, you leave them. My nap time is my naptime and EVERY kid lays down and stays there until naptime is over. There is nothing wrong with this. It helps them build patience and builds on their ability to self-soothe and self-entertain. Quiet, awake, alone time is VERY important for all people, children and adults for good mental health. I think far too few people take time out of their day to be awake and reflective.

This. Exactly what Judy said is why my kids stay on their mats until nap/quiet time is over. I know myself very well, and I know that I NEED that quiet break time. I also believe it is good for teaching the kids to self soothe and learn patience. If the children are awake, I expect that they wait quietly.

torontokids
05-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks, just wanted reassurance I was doing the right thing! They always stay on their cots regardless but they sometimes wake 10 mins early and I had been leaving them. My own dd and one dcb lay in their cots for the 2 hours and rest/have quiet time but sometimes don;t nap. I call it nap time as I expect them to nap. If they don't want to then I tell them "tough."

Momof4
05-22-2013, 07:46 PM
I get the children into bed at approximately the same time every day but sometimes we are 15 minutes to a half hour off when we are outside too long. Then the children sleep for 2 to 2 1/2 hours and I don't wake them. I let them wake as naturally as possible. However, if they are still asleep over 3 hours I start opening the curtains slowly so we can stay on schedule for afternoon snacktime. So I'm not anal about watching the clock but they all must stay as quiet as possible for at least 2 1/2 hours to allow for the child who needs that much sleep unless they all wake up earlier.

abster
06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
What would you do if you had an extremely loud peircing scream of a one year old? Lol. I mean loud, she does sleep but only an he or so. She is waking the others and making for cranky kids

playfelt
06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
She would be put in an area in the furthest room from the others and then left to cry. For the first few days I would go in after the hour, lay her back down and tell her naptime is not over. But then after that stop going in. It shouldn't last forever.

Often you need to explain to the parents that if they are going in at the first sound through the monitor then they are doing the child a disservice because at daycare she will be expected to rest in her bed the entire naptime whether she is sleeping or not so they would do well to adopt the same routine at home if they want her to have a good transition to daycare.