PDA

View Full Version : Escaping from pack & play during nap time - help!

ms09
07-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Hello

I have a 19 month old boy that has started to be able to escape from the pack and play where he sleeps during nap time. I currently have the little ones napping upstairs in bedrooms so it's quiet and dark for them. He's so quiet when he gets up that I can't hear him and I'm worried he's going to get into trouble and hurt himself. He, I think, is too young to sleep in a bed, or a cot as he will get up and wander around and isn't yet capable of understanding that he has to stay in bed. Is my only option getting a crib tent for him? Should I have the parents incur this cost? Opinions please :)

Skysue
07-23-2011, 10:01 AM
I had my 18 month old do this for a few days but I stood outside the door and waited and when she climbed out I put her right back in and said "NO" "DANGER" she cried but I had to do it a few times in a row for 3 days until she stopped. I'm not worried as the play pen room is baby proofed and the door handle has a child lock device on it so she won't be able to open the door. You may have to camp out outside the door for a few days but just let them know that they can't climb out!

Good luck!

ms09
07-23-2011, 10:08 AM
He doesn't do it when I put him down for a nap. He does it when he wakes up, which can range anywhere from an hour and a half to 3 hours after I put him down. Instead of calling for me like he used to, he just now climbs out quietly and starts climbing up on the bed that is also in the room. I'm worried he'll fall off the bed, or anything else, as he's quite a busy little trouble maker.

Skysue
07-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Maybe put a toy in the room that makes noise so you know he will play with it if he gets out! OR a glow worm to play with when he wakes in his playpen. It may work?

playfelt
07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Something noisy is a good idea. Ideally put it in after he has gone to sleep so it isn't there to distract him from settling but if he only sleeping part of naptime most days then he would play less on tired days before falling asleep and longer on other days meaning he should be waking up at the same time on all days.

What time does the child come in the morning? Is it possible he is sleeping longer on some days then others and therefore his need for nap isnt' consistent.

Between 18m - 2yrs when I think the child is getting near the climb out phase or is sleeping consistently for the time then I move the playpen down to where the older kids are sleeping so they get used to the naproom (mainfloor play area aka was diningroom). Then when they have the process I will try them on a mat like the others with the threat of be a big kid too or back to the playpen for you. Also means I am close by if he gets up and I can reinforce the lay down part without having to run up to the bedrooms or waste naptime standing up there.

Have they made the switch from crib to bed at home and is the child attempting to crawl out of the crib? Do the parents ever let him nap on the couch or their bed or other bed on weekends?

Judy Trickett
07-25-2011, 07:11 AM
My kids would never climb out of a PNP because they understand, from day one that they are not allowed to stand up in their PNP. If you know you are not allowed to stand up in your PNP then you would never even think to climb out of it.

I teach the kids that PNP time is SLEEPING time and if you are standing then you obviously are NOT sleeping.

The first week I have a kid in care I literally will go in a thousand times, if needed, and lay the kid back down every time they stand up. They catch on pretty fast that they are NOT to stand up in the PNP.