PDA

View Full Version : What did you serve for lunch today?!

DaycareLady
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi ladies, just wondering what you served for lunch today? I am always looking for new ideas and thought this would help!! Thanks in advance :)

Oh...and what will be on your dinner plate?! hehe

mimi
05-22-2013, 01:44 PM
scrambled eggs, sliced ham, toast with blueberry jam and sliced grapes.

Dinner? Haven't thought about that yet. I'll probably dig in the freezer for a lasagna and make a salad.

Sandbox Sally
05-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Today was a cold plate day. The kids love this, and so do I, because there's little prep! ;) We had vegetable crackers, cheddar, havarti, pickles, apples, salami and turkey, served with a cup of milk of course.

monkeymama
05-22-2013, 01:57 PM
lunch- spaghetti with meatballs, raw veggies and dip, yogurt for dessert

dinner- sausages, mashed potatoes and broccoli with cheese sauce

KellyP
05-22-2013, 01:58 PM
We had grilled chicken breast, brown & wild rice, squash and zucchini.
Milk too of course.

For snack we are having fruit tacos which is fresh fruit and greek yogurt (plain) rolled up into a whole grain tortilla. The kids LOVE them!

SongSparrow
05-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Almost the same as Mimi.....eggs, sausage, biscuit with peach jam and raspberries. My husband is on dinner duty on Wednesdays since I am out for the evening, so who knows!!

The fruit tacos sound awesome....I think I'll try them next week :)

crafty
05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Plain old shepherds pie. I always have a quiet meal time with shepherds pie and spaghetti.

Tonight steaks, stuffed mushroom caps and scalloped potatoes.

crafty
05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Oh and yeah love the fruit taco idea too THANKS FOR THE IDEA !

Artsand crafts
05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
I am on vacation potty training my son, but we had Today I sometimes serve to the DCK. We had spinach pizza with cucumber slices. Afternoon snack was grapes with rice crackers and dinner will be broccoli and shrimp noodles with peanut sauce.

playfelt
05-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Lunch was chicken breast cut into narrow strips (last night's leftovers or planned overs as they are called when I did it on purpose), buttered noodles, mixed veggies and apple slices, mil.

Snack in morning was cheese, crackers, banana and juice (1/2 orange juice and 1/2 McCain red juice of some sort usually grape or cranberry) and after nap was graham cracker, cucumber slices, milk.

Most of meals are fingerfeed appropriate as I have one that doesn't use spoon and two that barely do plus a 2 and 3 year old that can but are still plenty sloppy.

DaycareLady
05-22-2013, 06:53 PM
love these! thanks so much everyone!! I have such a picky crowd...won't eat any form of meat, no matter how I dress it up! Might but the age group?! I thought shephard's pie would be a huge hit, and quiche with turkey bacon but it all got wasted! So right now, my menu is pretty bland while I try to spice it up once in a while!

Today we had homemade whole wheat blueberry/banana pancakes (also snuck in some flaxseed)...with yogurt topping and cinnamon instead of syrup.

torontokids
05-22-2013, 06:54 PM
AM Snack- banana muffins, yogurt, fruit
Lunch- tuna casserole, squash, cucumbers, carrots, fruit
PM Snack- crackers and cheese, fruit, sunflower seeds.

Supper tonight- chicken fajitas

Lunch tomorrow- chicken, rice and beans and corn.

SongSparrow
05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
I love casserole-type dishes, but I have found that a lot of kids rather their food separate. I have only one picky eater in my bunch, and I find if I serve things separate on a plate he is more likely to eat it. Pancakes are always a hit at my house :)

playfelt
05-23-2013, 09:27 AM
For snack ideas I am totally the hero today because I gave them chocolate for snack. Got some of the chocolate flavoured cream cheese that recently came out and served it on mini bagels. It would make a great icing for topping muffins and they think it is a cupcake or for putting between layers of cake too.

This is a great idea for anyone that can't serve nuts in their program and thus can't use nutella either. Won't be doing all the time but will make a nice treat or nice bribe - like a graham cracker with chocolate cream cheese for when your lunch is all gone and you are still hungry - ie only for those that ate their meal.

Artsand crafts
05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
For snack ideas I am totally the hero today because I gave them chocolate for snack. Got some of the chocolate flavoured cream cheese that recently came out and served it on mini bagels. It would make a great icing for topping muffins and they think it is a cupcake or for putting between layers of cake too.

This is a great idea for anyone that can't serve nuts in their program and thus can't use nutella either. Won't be doing all the time but will make a nice treat or nice bribe - like a graham cracker with chocolate cream cheese for when your lunch is all gone and you are still hungry - ie only for those that ate their meal.

Don't feel bad for giving them chocolate. Research has been done and surprisingly dark chocolate is quite healthy and has antioxidants. Check out at this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2134667/Eating-dark-chocolate-really-good-heart.html

I loooove chocolate and I serve it some snacks here, too :)

treeholm
05-23-2013, 12:06 PM
We had quinoa and broccoli. It's a staple here since I have one little boy who is vegan, and the other who is basically vegan but also wheat-free. The girls and I sometimes add cheese to our lunch LOL

sunnydays
05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
We had baked, breaded chicken, quinoa and steamed carrots for lunch...I gave them plain yogurt as a dip for their chicken..they are all into dipping these days ;) Hummous is a big hit too...anyone have any good dips for veggies or meats?? I could use some more variety!

Dreamalittledream
05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
We had baked, breaded chicken, quinoa and steamed carrots for lunch...I gave them plain yogurt as a dip for their chicken..they are all into dipping these days ;) Hummous is a big hit too...anyone have any good dips for veggies or meats?? I could use some more variety!
Mine are really into dipping too! With meat I often put a dollop of applesauce (unsweetened) on their plate and they love it. As for veggies, either ranch dressing or yogurt (& hummus as you mentioned) are my goto.

JennJubie
05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
We had what I call the 'Picky Platter' today. It's pretty much just a cold mish mash. Cheese, bread, fruit, veggies and yogurt. Everybody gets a little of what they like this way :)

We're having home made banana muffins for afternoon snack... mostly because I had a lot of bananas in my freezer!

torontokids
05-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I make tzatziki and hummus. There are some good recipes for white bean dips, haven't thought to make it for dc yet.

What do you all put in your quinoa to add flavour? I would like to eat it more often but I find it a bit bland.

Also, any good recipes for quinoa/couscous/rice salads?

torontokids
05-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I had a surplus of bananas too...made 4 dozen muffins on Tuesday night!

Artsand crafts
05-23-2013, 12:41 PM

I sometimes use mayo or ketchup for dipping and kids like them...

cfred
05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
I make tzatziki and hummus. There are some good recipes for white bean dips, haven't thought to make it for dc yet.

What do you all put in your quinoa to add flavour? I would like to eat it more often but I find it a bit bland.

Sorry if this message comes out wonky....on my broken computer and it jumps around some. I make a Mediterranean Quinoa thing I made up that the kids love. Cook quinoa in Aurora Garlic/Basil bouillon. Once cooked, add chopped green onion, fresh basil, chopped Kalamata olives, chopped tomato, chopped red pepper and crumbled feta. It's fantastic and a huge favourite among my daycare kids (and me too). It's great warm or cold. Another one I do is to cook quinoa in Aurora mushroom bouillon and add some fried onions and mushrooms. Not as good as the other, but still pretty decent :)

sunnydays
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
I serve my quinoa plain...the kids all like it, even my picky 3 year old dcg. When I eat it myself, I usually have some sort of stew-like meal with it. We also put quino in soups to thicken it or throw it into pancake batter, muffins etc. I will make some tzatziki and see if the kids like it...I haven't made it for a long time...thanks for the idea :)

Artsand crafts
05-23-2013, 12:57 PM

I cook my quinoa and couscous just with chicken broth and kids like them.

betsy
08-03-2013, 05:37 AM

Salad dressings make good dips. A lot of varieties to choose from.
I always have Ranch, Raspberry and Creamy Caesar on hand. Not just for the kids.....for me!!!! :D

Have you tried steamed broccoli drizzled with Ranch? That's what I have whenever I want to lose some weight. I have it with baked chicken.