PDA

View Full Version : Other languages

mamaof4
07-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Have you ever encountered a situation where a child is not fluent in English? How is this addressed?

The situation I an discussing is regarding sign language, but I suppose it could be applied to any language.

mom-in-alberta
07-24-2011, 07:09 PM
I guess it would depend on the age of the child, and whether communication of any sort was possible? I should think it would be very frustrating for both parties if none at all was possible at first.
I am surprised, though. I think if I was the parent of the hearing-impaired child, I would want him/her in a care situation that would allow them to communicate easily? Not that it would be easy to find a sign-fluent dayhome, but with funding, etc an aide should be available for the child?

playfelt
07-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Many daycare centres have at least one teacher that has basic sign abilities. Depends too on the age of the child. If they are very young then they likely only have learned a few signs and the provider could be taught along with them. I would think sign was harder to incorporate than another foreign language because the child would be able to use other cues to get what was needed and would soon pick up the words of the other children. In the case of sign non of the other children would understand either.