PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with working alone

Dreamtree
07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Hello!

I opened my daycare in June and am currently doing transition care for my daycare kids that all start full time in the fall.

I am just wondering how other daycare providers find not having co-workers.
What do you all do to balance your day-with the lack of daily adult contact?

I love children and am so pleased to be able to run my own business, but balance is always important :)

Thanks!

Skysue
07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I have become amazing friends with my daughters old provider we talk two to three times a day. It's a godsend having someone understand your day!

Hello!

I opened my daycare in June and am currently doing transition care for my daycare kids that all start full time in the fall.

I am just wondering how other daycare providers find not having co-workers.
What do you all do to balance your day-with the lack of daily adult contact?

I love children and am so pleased to be able to run my own business, but balance is always important :)

Thanks!

playfelt
07-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Your days will get so busy that you won't think much about it until naptime. Then that is where the phone or computer becomes your lifeline to the outside world. Even just catching up on the daily news.

When the weather is nice take your gang for a walk to the local parks and you will likely find like minded caregivers looking for adults too. If you have one close by or access to transportation visit a playgroup or drop in centre.

At first you will find you feel isolated but as the time goes on you will realize what you aren't missing more than what you are. There is a reason you wanted to leave work and stay home.

Judy Trickett
07-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Find yourself a good, private, daycare forum. Find yourself a provider or two in your area you can talk to on the phone in a moment's notice if you need to.

Dreamtree
07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone! There is a early years drop-in centre a few blocks from me-I think that would be a great place to start meeting other like-minded adults :)

Emilys4Guppies
07-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I met one of my closest friends, another provider, at the Early Years center. We still meet there every Monday....and then every tuesday at the park, every wednesday at the zoo....ect. It's nice to have someone to do activities with. I think the drop-in is perfect for you! It's also a great place to find new clients...moms on maternity leave also frequent the Early Years drop-ins. They'll need care eventually!

Sandbox Sally
07-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Ditto the Early Years programs! I have met a few really great women there, and we meet at the playground most weeks too now. I even had my dck's old provider over to my house (she's on mat leave) with her two kids last week for a playdate. Fun!

mlc1982
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I found it really hard at first (started back in Febrary) but it has gotten easier. I have playdates with a couple friends. I'll talk on the phone or go online during naps. Sometimes my mom will come over when she has the day off and that is nice. I am also slowly trying to venture out more with the kids so I can hopefully meet some other groups in the area.

mom-in-alberta
07-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I find that my days are busy enough that I don't conciously think about it. At nap time, after tidying lunch, I usually check my email, hop on FB, and come in here! I have a close friend who is a mostly stay-at-home mom, she comes over for coffee frequently or we meet at the park, etc.
I don't miss having co-workers since part of what I love about my new career is no more office politics or gossip, lol!

lilac
07-27-2011, 09:21 PM
It is hard, still for me, my group spends a lot of time at the park early at first so we have the park to our selves for a bit, but as I posted in another thread, 10am and that park is full! So, although stressful w/repeated headcounts and dashing away mid conversation... I enjoy my mornings there, with lots of other adults to chat with! I have 2 ft and 3 school age specifically so that I can get out during the week at least a few days b/c if I was stuck at home, by myself all day long in the winter.... I couldnt bear it! I'll admit, I do miss working outside the home, with adults (I attempted this when my kids were a bit younger... lasted 4 months), but not even close enough to give my children to someone else to raise ever, EVER again!

robertmartin
11-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Can you bring music in to listen to? That would make the time pass more quickly so maybe you wouldn't be so lonely.