PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Insurance

mlc1982
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM
For those of you who transport kids in your vehicle, do you have extra vehicle insurance for this?

waterloo day mom
07-25-2011, 02:32 PM
This seems to vary greatly based on which insurance company you are with. I have heard of some people who only drive with the dck once or twice a month, and so their home insurance covers it. I have also heard of people who only drive the dck once or twice a week, and so all they had to do was increase their coverage to 2 million. There seems to be no hard-and-fast rule, so talk to your insurance broker or company. Don't be surprised if they're not pleased with the idea though.

mom-in-alberta
07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Yes, but I don't remember the details. I called my broker, told her I would be transporting to and from school. I was renewing at the time anyway, so I don't remember the difference in price either, sorry! As I recall, it was pretty much just the addition of 2 million dollar liability and changing from a personal vehicle status to a business/work one.

fruitloop
07-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Yes I got additional insurance on my truck. It covers all extra passangers.

spudjt
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
yes i got additional insurance as well, increased liability and ensured proper coverage to regularly take kids in the van with me..otherwise it wouldnt be valid and they wouldnt cover me for not disclosing. I used to have business insurance , then I had to get permission from my company when the laws changed last year they stopped this kind of coverage...state farm doesn not cover daycare vehicles but do the house insurance for daycare up to 6 kids to cover an 11 year old...and again if you exceed that number of kids your house insurance is nill and void for exceeding the limit...thats the max I have found a house insurance co to cover for. Cumis is comparible. where do others have their insurance?

playfelt
07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
My house is with co-operators and they cover the five daycare kids. No idea on the over 10 age group as it doesn't apply so never asked. We have our van with them too but since I don't transport the kids there is nothing special added to it.

Allstate which we used to have would only cover 3 daycare kids. At the time our house and auto was with them but I had a group policy through CCPRN so didn't matter but that was dropped so we changed companies. At that time only Cooperators and State Farm covered all 5 kids not including the caregiver's own kids. Not sure about now.

mlc1982
07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
My houe insurance will cover 4 day care kids max. I haven't asked about vehicle insurance yet as I wasn't transporting the kids before. I am actually kind of scared there could be a huge hike in the price. I'm now realizing if I am transporting then it is totally worth it, just don't know if it's in the budget and if I should just stick to staying home with them.

FS2011
07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm in BC, icbc has covered me for max liability insurance which is all I need for vehicle. Daycare insurance covers all my 7 spots and is very good, it's thru western financial group.

spudjt
08-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Because I transport kids regularly and will take them to school etc..I charge a "rec fee" to cover the transportation costs..with gas prices the way it is, I cant just give this service away for free. Its above and beyong childcare service-so there must be a charge for that. I charge from $20-$60/month transportation costs per family-depending on number of kids paying into the gas and insurance costs. Providers dont make enough as it is, so all these extra costs need reimbursement otherwise I wouldnt provide the service. I get kids to school and back home again and keep my vehicle insured, gassed up and ready to go...so there is a charge for that.