PDA

View Full Version : Teething pains

Mambia
05-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Further to my earlier post about a dcb who continues to cry and scream all day every day as a result of teething or act of control. Well, guess what I want to know is how long will you allow "teething" to be parents excuse for poor behaviour? My 14 mth dcb is just driving me bananas to the point that nothing comforts him most days. If he's not sleeping or eating then he's crying or screaming hysterically. This has been going on for about 3 weeks everyday. Parents keep saying they will take him to the doc to make sure nothing else is wrong with him. There's days where it's noticeably teething and there's other days where I pick him up and he's fine. I refuse to set that standard and don't have time to hold him all day long. It is just soooooo disruptive, I just want to scream myself!!! Help please.

PattyCake
05-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Have the parents taken him to the doctors like they said they would? ....Is he crying and screaming at home? I wouldn't accept "teething" any longer if I were you and I'd ask that they take him to the doctors promptly if they haven't already done so.

JennJubie
05-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Have the parents taken him to the doctors like they said they would? ....Is he crying and screaming at home? I wouldn't accept "teething" any longer if I were you and I'd ask that they take him to the doctors promptly if they haven't already done so.

I agree. You are far more patient than I. If they keep giving excuses, I'd even go as far as telling them he may not come back until he has been seen by a doctor. It's not just unfair to you, it's also unfair to the other children to listen to this.

Mambia
05-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Well for the past 2 weeks they've been telling me that they will get him checked out by the doc and nothing yet. This morning it was so bad that I just felt no other way than to let mom know that he must be taken to the doc to ensure its nothing more than teething as I cannot handle this for 9 hrs a day. She said she will book a doc app tomorrow. We'll see! Tylenol or Advil don't seem to relieve pain for this kid and parents have trouble with him at home too and just put him in his crib along with some toys. Sounds like a great idea and I've done that here too except with 5 kids in care, I have a schedule to stick to and don't always have the luxury of just putting him in his crib as we want to be outdoors!

playfelt
05-29-2013, 01:23 PM
If he is fine while he is sleeping or eating then it isn't teething because a child that is teething doesn't want to do either of those. It is all about not being down on the floor with the other kids. Try putting him in an exersaucer or similar or even in the highchair in the playroom - ideal if you can lower the chair closer to the floor and give him some toys but no food. He may just need the security to get used to the group.

sunnydays
05-29-2013, 01:26 PM
If Tylenol and Advil is not helping, it is likely not even teething! I have a 2 year old who is having teething trouble right now too...not as bad as you described, but still! I find my patience is a bit low for this as my own kids never seemed to have pain from teething. I do know that everyone feels pain differently and teething is worse for some kids than others, but I also feel like it often becomes an excuse for everything...when you don't know what to do, call it teething. I wouldn't be able to manage 9 hours of screaming for weeks on end!

KellyP
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
The only thing teething causes is teeth.

If the child is so miserable (due to whatever) that he is an issue at daycare, I would send him home.

NO way would I put up with a kid who acts like that.

Parents use teething as an excuse for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they really don't want to deal with.

I tell all my parents that I do NOT accept teething as an excuse for anything.

Mambia
05-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I have made so many suggestions to dcmom and dad of the issues I suspect it could be aside from teething and they just seem to excuse it and say its teething and /or dcb knowing that if he cries, someone will comfort him. Mom agrees that this is her doing as she ran to him every time he made a peep and now he knows how to get control. It ain't gonna work here that's for sure! Tough to undo but at the same time, nothing comforts this child other than food or if you hold him. They are finally taking him to the doc tomorrow so we will go from there. If try get a clean bill of health from the doc then I don't know what I'm gonna do with this kid.

playfelt
05-29-2013, 06:35 PM
It's more about what mom is going to do about this such as stop feeding him unless it is mealtime.