PDA

View Full Version : First day back. Should I or shouldn't I?

DeeDee
06-03-2013, 07:47 AM
So today's my first day back to work since moved, and this Morning I only have one dcg and my daughter. Well she was really quite and nice in the interview. Now she is still quite and nice but she won't listen. She won't clean up toys she just laughs and keeps playing. When she is taking toys out she's throwing them.
And when I say she doesn't listen like she just sometimes won't even look. Just ignores me. My daughter is two and she is a pretty good talker. She can hold a conversation so all
Morning she's been saying dcg name and trying to talk to her but dcg just ignors her should I bring this up with mom?? Or let it go.

Dreamalittledream
06-03-2013, 07:59 AM
My thoughts are give it some time. She's new and probably just feels like exploring. I currently have 3 @ 2 year old DCK's and they all vary so much in terms of how much they talk. But, as for her not seeming to hear you she could be like my husband, who if he's concentrated on something he never hears anything else! I would casually mention that she is still settling in and it could certainly be due to all of the stimuli but that you're keeping an eye on it. Re: Clean up time....praise your daughter like crazy when she tidies up with you (I even used gummy bears at the start for my great clean uppers); DCG will soon want that praise too:).

Judy Trickett
06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
How old is she? It sounds to me like she's two???

Anyway, it's only day one. What you need to do is remain assertive, ensure she carries out the tasks and she will learn, very quickly, that you mean what you say. If she refuses to clean up toys then have her sit out at first, right there, on the playroom floor with a bucket and some toys to put in the bucket. Those are HER toys that must be picked up by HER. She sits there until it is done.

You must be firm right off the start.

SongSparrow
06-03-2013, 12:02 PM
I have found that every child needs to be told and shown what you expect from them, you never know how things are done at their home. It may take a while but be firm about the rules at your daycare and offer lots of praise when they are doing the right thing.
I wouldn't say anything at all to the mum, it sounds perfectly normal to me :)

Lou
06-03-2013, 01:02 PM
It's possible that she's never had to clean up anything at all in her life...show her how and be firm with following through on your expectations of her while she's there. Good luck! :)