PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep it together when you are having a rough day?

torontokids
06-04-2013, 11:51 AM
My husband and I got into it last night and nothing got resolved so I am not in a great mood today. I just find myself really struggling today to keep upbeat and I find myself a bit "short" with the kids. I am sure they are picking up on my mood and as a result acting up then I have to keep disciplining. The worst of it is I have a new girl who started today and I just don't feel "into it" so I am sure her experience will be different from other kid's first days. How do you cope?

Discoveries
06-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Chocolate, music and more chocolate.

Focus on doing the activities you enjoy most with them, or declare it a free play day.

Sorry you are having an off day & hope you get things resolved soon.

Dreamalittledream
06-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I can totally relate. Those days when they are feeding off of your off mood. For me getting everyone outside cheers me up every time; hopefully there's sunshine in your neck of the woods?

sunnydays
06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Hugs to you Torontokids! It is super hard to maintian a cheery upbeat exterior with the kids when we are feeling emotionally on edge because of other things...I am sure we have all had days like that at times :( Go easy on yourself...don't do any structured activities...maybe even put a movie on at some point if you have to just to give yourself some downtime. Think of it as being sick...if you were sick you would go easy on yourself...this is no different. I also find that putting on some uplifting music and dancing around can help. Lots of outside time helps as well. And a nice cup of tea or coffee helps too :)

playfelt
06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
And don't be afraid to take a break and put on a kids tv show or video. When they are all sitting down in one space you can sit down too.

When I am over tired I let programming go and do activities together instead so it is kind of a one day theme - read a story then do something related. I leave out any stressful things like craft time and fussing with scissors and glue or paint and opt for no craft at all or just a piece of paper and some crayons.

I do the activities I know they enjoy which makes them happier. Keep meals simple for a couple more days and realize the kids will be fine no matter what you offer so go easy and do only what you feel like doing.

Sassygirl
06-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Hugs to you. Kids do seem to pick up when we are not in the mood and start acting up. I agree with the others, have a laid back day. How is the weather where you live? How about a trip to the park or a nice long walk? The fresh air will help. I know on rainy days my mood is always worse so spending most of the nice weather days really helps my mood.

cfred
06-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Get yourselves outside if the weather is nice. And really, there's nothing day with a day of free play if you're feeling down. Do what you need to to get through it. Maybe a nice meal out with hubby is in order? Time alone, out of the fray, certainly improves moods.

If all else fails, this is why wine was invented I think. Keep the corkscrew handy for the end of your shift :woot:

Hope your week gets better!

Momof4
06-04-2013, 05:05 PM
One of my dcgirls is giving me a run for my money lately and I'm interviewing in the evening and just overwhelmed with so many things in my life. I'm exhausted. You're not alone in feeling frustrated. Plus, I think I dropped or spilled about 1000 things today (I didn't drop any children, hehe) and that happens to me when I'm overtired.

Thankfully, I have tonight off and I got into my jammies as soon as the gardening was done after work. I'm going SLOWLY tonight. I hope you can do the same Torontokids.

mimi
06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
when I find my self struggling with a personal issue I will simplify my dc day. I know I am not completely as "there" as I should be with thoughts of my problem so I just will have a free play day and make my kids favourite lunch to make up for what is lacking in me that day. I don't tend to get moody when I am down, I just get quiet. I hope Torontokids you and your hubby quickly resolve what is bothering you.:glomp:

torontokids
06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone! My nap time/break was an undisturbed 2 hours which really helped (watched an episode of Master Chef!) I felt so much better after lunch,we danced, played outside and acted silly. My husband came home in a better mood so we will see how tonight's conversation goes. It really just helped to just put it out there that I was feeling crappy and have other people relate, thanks.

littlebugsdaycare
06-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I can 100% relate, my FIL is very ill, he had triple bypass surgery a week ago and we are all burning at all ends right now taking turns being at the hospital and helping my disabled MIL who is home alone and not able to care for herself. The whole family is worried as his stay in the hospital keeps getting extended. So it has been a lot of later nights, early mornings and busy nights.

My daycare families are beyond wonderful, they have been bringing some homemade snacks knowing how tired I am and how I have been still doing everything I normally do with the kids. As one mom said when she brought her batch of homemade muffins, 'sit and relax at quiet time, no baking for the kids - relax!" I love her.

Forgive yourself and have a lazier day, the kids will love it and it will give you a bit of a break, if that is possible in daycare land! Most people are understanding that we have our own lives and stresses. Hope today is better.