PDA

View Full Version : New Girl

torontokids
06-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Have a 3 y o little girl start today. Super sweet but it is clear that she is entertained a lot at home. She is continually looking to me to play with her (I am not, I redirect her to play with the kids or by herself). She is in a daycare part time for the mornings one day a week and then has a nanny 2 days a week she will be with me 3 days per week (her grandma had been watching her those 3 days but went back to work). Aside from redirecting her, anything else I could try? I was going to mention it to mom to see if she can support her in developing this skill as she will be at a centre full time starting in September. Should I bother?

momofnerds
06-04-2013, 12:03 PM
really nothing you can do. To many people with too many rules. Don't worry she'll be ok and will start to play with the others.

sunnydays
06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Seeing as it is her first day, I would not say anything yet. It might just be that it is a new environment and she doesn't know you or the other kids yet. She will probably start playing more once she feels secure and knows everyone a bit more.

playfelt
06-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Mom will be aware that child needs to socialize and that is why she has her enrolled in the other program too. As far as being with the nanny - one of the downsides is that often they are expected to only do childcare and not housework so are there just to entertain the child - good to a point but damaging in the end. I wouldn't say anything to mom at all for at least a month. Give the child time to figure out her place in your group - will she be the oldest and the leader, the youngest and the follower, or somewhere in between - which kids she feels more in tune with - this will all take time for her.

I try to do a lot of group activities to show them how to interact and then back off and leave them to play together. She may just need a push.

Sassygirl
06-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I agree with the others. Keep redirecting her. Its her first day give her time. She has different rules wherever she is. Do not say anything to Mom on the first day. Give her a few weeks. She will eventually get it.