PDA

View Full Version : Getting up the stairs with little ones

torontokids
06-04-2013, 01:21 PM
So my group is much larger now and I have some younger ones as well. The thing I find most difficult (aside from that crazy busy hour between lunch and naps) is getting them all up the stairs. What works the best is bringing the little ones up one at a time and strapping into a stroller at the top of the stairs (this is a separate basement entrance) but I really don't want to lug ot my stroller everyday when we only really need it on the days I plan a park trip. I have tried having them sit on the mat at the bottom of the stairs and I carry one baby and walk my youngest daughter up the stairs and the older kids go up themselves. Two days a week I also have a 2 year old and this is when I find it the toughest as I can't walk 3 up at once. I have tried having one wait at the bottom of the stairs on the mat but this 2 year old has a hard time listening so it's a painful process of me continually redirecting onto the mat all while I hold 2 little ones. I have another baby starting n July so I need to train these three fast! How do you do it?

sunnydays
06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Well it takes time to get them all going up well, but I find going up is much easier than down. I make them all go up together and I am right behind them all. So the biggest kids go first, followed by the two year olds and then the under twos are last and I am right behind them. I make them crawl up unti they are over two (depending on the child) and then they start standing and holding the railing as they are able. My stairs are inside the house mind you, so I don't have to worry about any dangers at the top. They know (well all but my newest..LOL) that they go straight to my mudroom to get their shoes. On the way back down, I leave the two youngest strapped into the stroller while I take the two 2 year olds down (the 2 three year olds walk down fine on their own), then I gate them all in and go back up for the younger ones. I make them crawl down backwards, but this is a slow process and my two youngest have been training for 6 months and are still slow and tend to try to turn around or go the wrong way...I have to hold the back of their pants and keep them going the right way. I have teo leaving and two babies starting in August, so I may have to start by carrying the baby with the slowest crawling abilities if necessary, but as soon as possible I get them crawling up.

sunnydays
06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I should add that this is my least favourite part of the day as well...stairs with a gazzilion of toddlers and babies are now fun :(

Sassygirl
06-04-2013, 01:43 PM
I have a pressure mounted Evenflo gate which I use to section off my playroom and to keep the kids confined. My daycare is on the main floor of my house so I confine the kiddos when I need to use the kitchen or bathroom. We got ours at Sears.

playfelt
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
By 14 -15 months at least they should be able to crawl up the stairs. I have everyone gather at the bottom of the stairs (gate at stairs) and sit down. No one moves till I tell them. I then open the gate and send the older kids up then the group that is trying to stand and hold railing to go up but is slow and then the crawler uppers and I follow right behind them. If one or sometimes two gets real slow I just scoop them up and carry them. Coming down to the playroom we do it during baby naptime or I have them in chairs in the kitchen as we go after snack or put up a playpen near the stairs and the small play yard downstairs so I can run them one to the other. The middle group I have them do the turn around and crawl down and as Sunnydays noted it is a struggle to keep them from turning forwards but there is too much chance of them leaning forward, catching a shoe and falling down the stairs so backwards it is no matter how much you scream or protest and parents are reminded of the rules and why so they can teach this way at home and not the scoot down on your bum.

The trick is to have something at the top and bottom of the stairs to dump them into and all 3 into one playpen works for the few minutes involved.

mimi
06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I do as sunnydays. It always scares me though how when the little ones reach the top of the stairs, they stand up right at the edge of the stairs everytime. :eek:

sunnydays
06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I do as sunnydays. It always scares me though how when the little ones reach the top of the stairs, they stand up right at the edge of the stairs everytime. :eek:

This is why I am literally on the stair beneath them at all times ;) And I don't take more than two kids under 18 months so that I have time to get them trained before taking on any more babies. I've finally got my current group mostly well trained and in August two are leaving and I'll be starting two babies...start over again...sigh.

JennJubie
06-05-2013, 12:35 PM
I've got one little guy who can already get up the stairs on his own at 10 months! Gotta watch him like a hawk

torontokids
06-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the tips. I still feel like I haven't found a solution though as my staircase leads outside so I do not feel comfortable having kids wait at the top. My 2 y o is getting pretty good on the stairs, he walks up holding the rail.I think I might need to give him a bit more independence and walk up behind him with the 2 little ones. I was also thinking of installing seat belts on an outdoor bench and leave it at the top of the stairs to secure kids but I think this would take up too much room. Another idea I had just as I was typing this is to have some of the toddler straps attached at the top of the stairs and secure my 2 y o in before getting the little ones. I don't know, currently it feels more like a gong show when we take the 2 min trip upstairs.

Today I spent 10 mins redirecting my 2 yo to sit on the carpet as he is so excited to go outside but I need him to wait for me safely. He kind of got it today but not totally.

gramma
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
I dont want to go up and down stairs 5 times so I encourage parents right from the start to help the child learn to crawl up and down. I now have my 2 oldest napping in the playroom but that still leaves 3 so I carry the smallest one for now and the others crawl up. If that doesnt work and you dont mind going up and down, put a gate and the bottom of the stairs so that the ones that are waiting for their turn cant start going up.

abster
06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a 20 month old who refuses to climb the stairs (its for nap) he will just scream and if I put him on the stairs to do it he throws himself on the floor. I'm already carrying a little one up and like one arm free in case someone slips. How can I get him to do it? He is also very stubborn lol...

torontokids
06-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Can you do them one at a time? I know it's a pain but going up the stairs for a nap may not be a big motivator for him. You could read him a story 1:1 if he goes up on his own (if that works with your schedule.)

sunnydays
06-11-2013, 12:19 PM
What about putting a favourite toy at the top of the stairs for him to go and get? Or if he has a blankie or stuffie that he loves to sleep with, you could use that. We have to be careful not to get into power struggles (I have to remind myself of this often...LOL) and try to find a motivator whenever possible.

I have a 20 month old who refuses to climb the stairs (its for nap) he will just scream and if I put him on the stairs to do it he throws himself on the floor. I'm already carrying a little one up and like one arm free in case someone slips. How can I get him to do it? He is also very stubborn lol...

playfelt
06-11-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a gate at my stairs and just take them up one at a time. It is quick carry up, dump in bed, cover and say naptime and then leave. Repeat ....so right now three trips up to beds. Then put those on mats that sleep on main level to bed. I think each one likes that little bit of personal and I also find they can be too tired to climb up too although resistance so they don't have to nap is most likely the case. Put baby in playpen or exersaucer on main floor while you carry other child up and tuck in quick and leave. Then do baby. Not worth the struggle.

abster
06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Yea I think I will start bringing just him up first. He used to do it but not anymore. The rest of them happily go while we sing a nap time song I don't want the rest to get into the habit of being unhappy about quiet time lol

SecondAve
06-12-2013, 12:59 PM

I always encourage them to climb up on their own when they are old enough. Even if it means I move their arms up and then push their little legs up, until they get the hang of it and clue in that I will not carry them. There were two dcb's that cried and resisted at first, but after a couple of time they got the hang of it. Now they fly up the stairs as fast as the older children. Of course I say things to encourage them and praise them once they started doing it.