PDA

View Full Version : Double Barrel Snot for 4 weeks....Parents don't seem to care.

Other Mummy
06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
I have a 3yr old dcb. He's been with me for almost 2 years. Every single time he gets a cold his nose runs for 3 weeks, if not more. It's not clear, its thick yellow snot which hangs to his chin. I'm mopping him up 10 x an hour. No exaggeration. Now allergy season is here and it is constant. I'm tired of going thru boxes an boxes of kleenex, I'm sick of having to clean off furniture, toys and other kids arms and clothes cause DCB is getting snot EVERYWHERE.

I've mentioned it to the parents several times, they just brush it off "ha-ha, yeah, it's allergies, or yeah, its just a cold" um. yeah. Problem is, he spends 9 hours at daycare getting everything contaminated with his bodily fluids.

This morning I mentioned it yet AGAIN to dcd. I'm planning to tell them at pick up that if his nose it still the same on Monday, that he cannot attend until he is looked at. If it's allergies, get him some medication to stop the perpetual snot. If its a cold, maybe they could look at why it won't stop!

Have any of you excluded a child for excessive snot. I'd post a pic of what I'm talking about but I think you could all visualize double barrel snot, hanging to the chin every frickin 5 min.

smileyface
06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
lol... I'm in the same boat! It's disgusting. I have a dck whose nose won't stop running as well. I am constantly wiping it... probably about the same amount as you! His parents keep brushing it off as allergies, but it's yellow/greeny snot... from what I've read, allergy snot is normally clear. I asked if they have taken him to the doctor and they said no. I suggested they do as this has been going on for close to a month and it's not getting any better. I too am sick of cleaning snot off of my toys and furniture. Also sick of going through tons of boxes of kleenix's because of this guy. I am interested to hear what other people have to say. I personally think they should be taking him to the doctor to find out exactly what the cause is, and like you said, if it's allergies, put him on meds for it.

Sassygirl
06-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Thats all you can do is keep mentioning it to the parents. They probably won't do much. You could insist because its lasting so long that you need a Doctors note to make sure that there is no infection before you accept him back into care. I had to do that a few weeks ago with a dcg who has green snot for 2 weeks. Turns out it was a dairy allergy!

playfelt
06-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Tell them to bring a doctor's note and medication either for infection or allergies as doctor prescribes and to bring one box of Kleenex per day till it clears up.

At minimum it is time for them to provide the Kleenex for their child since what is being used is in excess of daycare allotments. Maybe after box after box they realize the allergy meds are cheaper.

gramma
06-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I have a 3yr old dcb. He's been with me for almost 2 years. Every single time he gets a cold his nose runs for 3 weeks, if not more. It's not clear, its thick yellow snot which hangs to his chin. I'm mopping him up 10 x an hour. No exaggeration. Now allergy season is here and it is constant. I'm tired of going thru boxes an boxes of kleenex, I'm sick of having to clean off furniture, toys and other kids arms and clothes cause DCB is getting snot EVERYWHERE.

I've mentioned it to the parents several times, they just brush it off "ha-ha, yeah, it's allergies, or yeah, its just a cold" um. yeah. Problem is, he spends 9 hours at daycare getting everything contaminated with his bodily fluids.

This morning I mentioned it yet AGAIN to dcd. I'm planning to tell them at pick up that if his nose it still the same on Monday, that he cannot attend until he is looked at. If it's allergies, get him some medication to stop the perpetual snot. If its a cold, maybe they could look at why it won't stop!

Have any of you excluded a child for excessive snot. I'd post a pic of what I'm talking about but I think you could all visualize double barrel snot, hanging to the chin every frickin 5 min.

my contract says that kids can come to daycare with common colds as long as symptoms are being treated. If he has a runny nose there are plenty of over counter meds to help dry it up. If its allergies for goodness sake get some relief for this child. I wouldnt let him back either until they do something about it.

KellyP
06-10-2013, 02:27 PM
I require a doctor's note after 5 days of snot if there is NO improvement shown.

I also exclude if the child is young enough that they can't wipe their on noses or use a tissue. If they are little, and get snot everywhere then I exclude based on the fact that I cannot follow them around all day making sure they don't get snot everywhere.

My contract says if the nasal discharge is more than the provider can manage and impacts the sanitary environment for others.