PDA

View Full Version : Potty training regression

MonkeyPrincess
06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
My daughter is 2 yrs 7 months old. We were doing well with the potty training up until a week ago. She would ask to go to the bathroom and would not often have an accident. We had been at it for a month, she was pretty well trained during the day but would still wet thru out the night. Then over the course of 5 days, My grandmother became ill and passed away (it was expected). Over the course of the week after that, we were going back and forth to funeral homes, families homes etc and she started relying on her pull up despite us trying to take her to the potty as much as we could.

I had taken away the pull up in effort to try to get her to go on the toilet again. I take her to the toilet once or twice an hour, sometimes she pees but hasn't poo'd on the toilet in weeks. She will only go in a diaper/pull up. My 3x a day girl has started holding it so now she only poos every other day. Now she has started peeing her pants multiple times a day and even pooped on the floor a few times, yesterday included :o

What do I do now? Do a potty training boot camp (like the 3 day potty training method)? Continue with what I am doing now despite that she pees/poos in her pants/ floor or forget it all together, take a break and start again? If I take a break, won't it be like starting all over again? Won't it confuse her? I never had this issue with my son. His potty training was so much simpler ( because his DcP at the time was fantastic!) help please!

playfelt
06-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Until the current stress event is over I would let her have pullups but still take her to the potty regularly so she gets the idea that you still expect her to use the toilet no matter what she is wearing. With all the comings and goings what happened in the past was totally undone because expectations no longer applied. I would wait a month and then start again but praise any success including a reward if you want to.