PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this? (Overtired dcg)

monkeymama
06-12-2013, 12:09 PM
I have a new dcg whos been with my for a few months. Her parents aren't together and she goes back and forth between houses, so there is some inconsistency in her schedule. However, its really starting to affect her behavior here. She is so tired when she gets here, she can barely get through the morning. Shes cranky, irritable, taking toys, having tantrums etc. and I really think its all a result of being overtired. She constantly asks me all morning if she can go have a nap! After nap time, usually I have to wake her up, she is like a completely different kid: happy, smiling, singing and dancing. I have made comments to parents that she seems really tired, but now Im at the point I want to demand they start putting her to bed earlier....Do you think that is crossing the line? I don't want to tell them how to parent, but when it is affecting my day negatively I kinda feel like I have the right to say something....Thought s?

torontokids
06-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Well she needs to arrive ready to participate so I would go in with that angle. She is clearly over tired in the mornings and it is effecting her behaviour at daycare. I would ask them how she is sleeping and what time she goes to bed at night. It is possible that having different bedrooms and expectations are impacting her ability to sleep even if she is going down at the same time at both houses. An email addressed to both of them is how I handle divorcing couples as they both feel included and they both then know the concerns.

DaycareLady
06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Wow MonkeyMama I feel like I wrote this post! I have a 2 year old that as been with me for a few months and her behavior in the morning is a direct reflection of the inconsistency she has at home. I only have her for 3 days a week and the other 4 she gets tossed between 2 Grandmas, Aunts, etc...she also goes to bed, when she is at home with her parents, between 10:30 and 11:30pm and is up by 6am?!?! I have mentioned to parents many times that she has had "rough" mornings and seemed "very tired" but what else can I do? They want a full time spot and I will not give it because I can not handle every drop off, every morning, being a completely drama fest....3 days is enough for me!

playfelt
06-12-2013, 12:57 PM
If you get no where I would just put her down for a nap the minute she walks in the door and/or have a mat set up near the playroom such as in a hallway just outside the door that if she acts up you will send her there to rest. The key is to get her into bed when she first arrives to have a top up nap so even if she sleeps 7-9 she will probably still go down ok for afternoon nap. It isn't her fault and when it messes with my day I would just take the steps to make my day go better but be sure to let the parents know what she is missing out on because she needs to finish her nighttime sleep when she gets there.