PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear.....

cfred
06-14-2013, 12:07 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with daycare. Just curious to see how many others do this.....you might even get a chuckle here or there :) This might be long, but I'm so curious as to whether this happens to other people.

I'm a terrible sleeper and have reasonably frequent bouts of insomnia that can last days or weeks. During an insomnia period, I sleep very restlessly and have had a tendency to do odd things in my sleep. Upon waking I may have a very fragmented memory of it, but it seems like it might have been a dream. A couple of examples:

1. I took some medication one night (waaayyy back in my married days) and fell asleep on the couch. The only thing I remembered was waking up around 5am and climbing into bed with my then husband. When we both woke up in the morning, he was furious (FURIOUS) with me. He stated that as he was tidying up around the house, I followed him around telling him he was lazy, useless, etc. Apparently it went on for quite a while. As he told me what had him so angry, I had a very vague memory, sort of a snapshot, of sitting in the kitchen saying things akin to what he was telling me. Colour me embarrassed.

2. We brought the remaining 2/3 of my son's very large birthday cake home from our party at my sisters. It was wrapped up and rested on top of some things on the bottom shelf of the fridge. When we woke up the next morning, more than half of the remaining cake was missing and a bowl covered in icing was on the kitchen counter. I was quite annoyed at the little piggy who ate all that cake, though the boys swore up and down that they didn't touch it. Then after several minutes of arguing with the kids, I had a (again) vague memory of a piece of confetti icing hurting one of my teeth. Oh doG!!! I had actually woken up in the middle of the night, taken the cake out of the fridge, unwrapped it, got a bowl and fork, cut a massive slab of cake (MASSIVE), re wrapped the cake, put it away, ate the cake, put the bowl by the sink and gone back to bed....all without waking up!!!!! Who the hell does that???

I've been known to walk around the house, turn all the lights on, then turn them all off again then go back to bed. I've woken up seeing people in my room and had to be talked down by my (then) husband. Got up to look for grape jelly once. Woke my husband by smashing little animals I saw running on our bed. Warned my husband (when dating) not to go on patio at cottage as there was an old lady out there. Upon describing her the next morning from my dream, it turned out to sound like his dead grandmother, who I'd never met (freaky!). Started planning a baby shower for a friend who I thought had called to tell me she was pregnant (she didn't). She did call me a few months later and had the same conversation which freaked me right out! Scared the absolute crap out of my sister when we had to share a bed at Christmas one year. She reached over me (sleeping) to get something from the nightstand. I suddenly reached up, grabbed her arm and said "Don't go in the closet, someone's in there". She said she nearly needed to change her pajamas! I feel for the poor slob to takes a chance to sleep in my bed next ;)

I'm going through another round of insomnia again. During my very restless sleep, I heard people yelling in the street in the middle of the night, but incorporated that into my dream. In my dream I yelled obscenities at them out my open window. I have the absolutely dreadful feeling that I might have actually done that....in my new neigbourhood, at my new neighbours. What????

The earth can swallow me whole any time now....please:blink:

sunnydays
06-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh wow Cfred! That sounds totally awful and terrifying!!! Does it only happen when you take medication or does it happen other times? If it is the medication, I would talk to your doctor about trying something else (or maybe look into natural alternative). I would go to a doctor anyway and see if there is anything that can be done to help you...sounds like you could actually harm yourself one of these days :(

cfred
06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
It's not really terrifying per se. Most of the time I don't realize I've done anything, but have a 'feeling' that I might have. When I go through periods of insomnia (like now) my dreams are almost lucid, in that sounds infiltrate them and are incorporated and I respond to them and can control what I'm doing, sort of. I've had full conversations in with people who talk to me when I'm asleep. I speak in context and answer appropriately, but remember the conversation differently when I wake up as in my dream, the conversation is different....more surreal and the context may be different. I'm aware of making decisions in restless sleep, but still feel as if I'm in a dream, so it's all surreal. I really don't know how to describe it any other way. I'm not on any medication typically, so it's not that. It's almost like, when I have insomnia, that I never really am fully asleep...sort of in between asleep and awake...and am an active participant in my dreams and decision making, though I'm not aware that they're dreams all the time. When I wake up fully, it's sometimes hard to discern whether I've just dreamed something or I actually did it, as with the yelling obscenities out my window last night. I'm not sure if I actually did it, but knowing this feeling, I may very well have. Very odd feeling.

Maybe meds should be looked at....this sounds nuts!!!

apples and bananas
06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
If you eat a gigantic piece of cake in your sleep, do the calories count?

cfred
06-14-2013, 12:46 PM
LOL....I like to think not! I was dieting at the time so my girlfriend said my body was staging a coup...lol! I've done the sleep eating thing quite a few times....wake up and find cookie crumbs on my chest or a granola bar wrapper under my pillow. I've just started dating someone....perhaps he should be fairly warned ;)

So I'm guessing this doesn't happen to many other people.....oh crumbs (pardon the pun).

jammiesandtea
06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Geez, I was gonna suggest maybe laying off the pharmaceuticals, ;) lol, but if they aren't typically a regular thing for you... I don't know what to suggest. Except maybe the addition of some, I guess! ;) lol ... Seriously though, it's kinda scary for you. To be honest, sleep-walkers have always scared the crap outta me! Too many scary movies when I was a teenager I think, lol.

P.S. I hope it turns out you didn't really scream obscenities at your new neighbours. Or if you did, that they have a sense of humour. :)

cfred
06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Here's hoping for a sense of humour! I have new neighbours moving into the very next townhouse tonight and tomorrow. This weekend....sleep with the window CLOSED!!!

sunnydays
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Maybe you should post a big sign on your lawn "I sleep walk and sleep talk...disregard anything you hear past 10pm"...LOL

cfred
06-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Not a bad idea Sunnydays! LOL!!!:laugh: The sign should include 'Keep your door locked & hide your sweets too" maybe.

Gawd....have a date with the new guy tonight.....perhaps a warning over a glass of wine is in order. Maybe my quirks will be endearing?

sunnydays
06-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Hopefully he hasn't watched that movie where the woman murders her husband while sleepwalking...LOL.

cfred
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Bahaha! Man, if only I'd thought of that during my divorce! I wouldn't have killed him though....just rubbed poison ivy in his underwear.

Oh wait....did that while I was awake ;)

michellesmunchkins
06-14-2013, 02:43 PM
I can absolutely relate to just about everything you posted. I too am a sleep walker/talker and have major insomnia issues. I don't take anything either, but my husband and daughter have shared some wonderful stories about my 'adventures' while sleep walking lol Feel free to pm me if you want to chat some more :)

sunnydays
06-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Bahaha! Man, if only I'd thought of that during my divorce! I wouldn't have killed him though....just rubbed poison ivy in his underwear.

Oh wait....did that while I was awake ;)

Not to give away the plot to those who haven't seen the movie, but she wasn't really sleepwalking...only faking so she could get away with murder ;) So your poison ivy could have worked similarly...LOL.

cfred
06-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Yes, I remember the story. I thought I might not be able to pull it off, chickened out completely and washed them. Drank his long saved bottle of Perrier champagne instead.

Momof4
06-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Eeek, Cfred, you have very active nights, do you ever feel rested? I wasn't sure if I should giggle or not at your stories, but they were pretty funny! Wow, ok I'm an insomniac but I lay still in my bed or toss and turn until morning, don't think I've ever done anything like your adventures!

But my Mom was a sleepwalker when she was young and my Dad was always concerned and followed her around when she did that. But I remember him telling me that she always went to the kitchen window and looked outside for a long time then went back to bed. I thought that was weird, but you are really special!

Have you ever tried counselling or a sleep clinic or something like that?

Bookworm
06-15-2013, 11:50 PM
My sister used to sleepwalk when she was a teenager. My parents caught her trying to walk out the front door of our apartment once in the middle of the night. She apparently was going to the car to go with my dad to pick me up from work. The next day they put a bell on our front door so that if she tried to leave in the middle of the night again, the bell would ring and they would hear it and stop her.

mimi
06-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Acutually there was a case in Ontario I believe where a newly married husband drove to his parents in law house ( in his sleep), killed his mil and almost killed his fil whom he really liked and had no issues with. His wife did eventually forgive him, he was found not guilty and he and his wife did break up as still how could you live with the man, no matter how great he is, who killed your mom and hurt your dad. Just thought this was of interest and no reflection on the OP:)

playfelt
06-16-2013, 04:03 PM
It really is scary what the mind is capable of doing isn`t it. I grew up with a friend that would sleepwalk and go out and sit in their backyard in the middle of the night in her nightgown even in winter and the family had to put bells on the doors so someone would wake up and try to get her back in. As long as they turned on the porch light to light up the yard she would come in.