PDA

View Full Version : Transition ideas for newbie starting in July

Sassygirl
06-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi there. I have a new dcg who is 13 months starting with me in 3 weeks on July 8. She will be with me 3-4 days a week (Dad has rotating days off so some weeks its weekends others its weekdays so family has agreed to pay a minimum of 3 days).
The family and I got along really well and Mom has also come by for 2 playdates over the past month on a day where my numbers are low to get dcg used to the group setting and she did great. Another story when Mom isn't there I know.
I am trying to figure the BEST way to transition her. Should we do a half day morning, half afternoon then a full day the week before? That is what I have been doing with my other families, I also have had 1 family start "cold turkey". I am wondering how to transition because she would be only 3-4 days a week.
Thanks in advance.

playfelt
06-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Since she is always going to be part time I would probably just start her cold turkey as even when we do a transition it isn't until a child starts full time that they learn to settle in. It will still take several weeks before she is comfortable.

If you do want to transition gradually I would do a half day ie come at regular time but stay till late morning so only 2-3 hours, second day stay till after lunch but go home for naptime, and third day stay all day.

Another option if the space is open is to have her come half a day every day for the week so she starts to get the idea that this is a normal thing to do.

Momof4
06-17-2013, 03:50 PM
I've learned from experience the more they are at daycare right away the better. Starting slowly doesn't work, it seems to be too confusing for the child and if you have a screamer it could possibly last for weeks.

mimi
06-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Yes, from my experience, transition days don't help much. I have had great success with my last 3 dck's starting cold turkey. I tell the parents their attitude towards leaving them at daycare must be genuinely positive. If the child senses Mom/Dad are at ease with daycare and provider it is a huge step towards the child feeling the same way. And quick drop offs are also key :)

PattyCake
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
From my experience cold turkey is the best. I find that although in the beginning it may be a tad tough, it pays off very quickly!