PDA

View Full Version : Preschool and kindergarten and day care

mamaof4
08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
how do you handle having kids come for half the day?

playfelt
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't have that situation because it means either going to the preschool to pick them up or meeting the kindergarten bus. I do not take children once they are in school so I don't have to bundle everyone else up to go outside regardless of the weather. I love not having to schedule my day around the clock. I also found parents expect to only pay for half a day and that cuts into income so if a child comes I expect full pay for the day.

Emilys4Guppies
08-02-2011, 04:02 AM
I don't do half days. It messes my nap routine (11:30-2).

mlc1982
08-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't do half days either. My rates are based on a full day. I've thought of doing the school run but it just wouldn't fit in with my group. I've got more of a younger group and can't imagine having to get them all bundled up in the winter.

lilac
08-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I do not do half days either. It means 4 trips to the school per day! And with my crew its at least a 45min venture each trip. Luckily, my school has done away with the half day program this year.

lilac
08-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Forgot to add, I also only do preschool if I am able to get everyone in the van... I have not offered it to any of my clients thus far, but I did have my daugther in preschool when I started daycare, so its a possiblity.

sunnydays
08-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I just registered my three year old for part-time preschool two mornings a week, so I guess I'll find out how hard it is! All my daycare kids are under two and he just needed something a little more stimulating. However, I have a teenaged son who can walk him there in the morning as it is right beside his high school, so I'll probably only have to do pick-ups and we are generally out in the morning at activities anyway, so we'll just leave in time to pick him up. I can also ue my van when the weather gets bad.

Judy Trickett
08-02-2011, 12:48 PM

I don't do school aged care for JK/SK (half day or every other day) kids. And the reason I don't do it is because I would still expect FULL fees for that child and most parents do not want to pay full fees to use only half services.

I used to do it. But it got very tiring very fast. Having to work your entire day around the schedule of one half day child is exhausting and unfair to the other kids.

Now I do not do ANY school-aged care at all and it is heavenly here!

Skysue
08-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I used to do it and it screwed up my whole day, routine etc... we counldn't go out much as we always had to wait or get back early to be there for his drop off! The part time child started acting up as well (do to not getting naps at home) and he stopped napping. It wasn't fun!

Kids love schedule and this throws it all off balance.

It's totally up to you but just a heads up!

Nifer
08-03-2011, 12:49 PM
My first dck was in school full time, but as I was on mat leave still it was actually nice to have time alone w/my son but making money/building business. This fall I will have 2 ft school agers and 1 in every other day. But any new dcks I take in I plan on doing as the ladies above and will only take on full time and no school age.

lilac
08-03-2011, 09:39 PM
I dont have a choice about going to the school....my own kids are in JK and SK.... SK and Grade 1 this upcoming year... so I have to do the wonky schedule anyways... I dont mind though! But as I said before, I dont take half day kids.

clep
08-12-2011, 09:17 AM
I take children half days for kindergarten. Preschool and kindergarten is not a full half day. It is only 3 hours where I am in Alberta. The parent transports and pays for a full time fee. I let them know why and that is that. If they want to go elsewhere to save on fees they are welcome to, but it is like that anywhere. The timing of morning or afternoon kindergarten does not interrupt routine at all here. The child just joins in on whatever activity we are doing.