PDA

View Full Version : Sickness Policies..Need advice

Daycare123
06-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey Everyone!

I am just wondering what your sickness policies are especially around rashes and unexplained fever.

Do you require 24 hours illness free (rash , vomiting, fever) before return to daycare?

help please
thanks!

Crayola kiddies
06-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Yes I do ..... And if diagnosed with something which requires antibiotics 48 hours from first dose since it usually takes 48 hours for the meds to start working.

2cuteboys
06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm 24 hours from last fever, diarrhea, vomiting. And 24 hours from starting treatment if its a rash as they can take longer to go away, even if its no longer contagious.

Daycare123
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Thank you, this is very helpful!

Momof4
06-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Definitely 24 hours after symptoms clear up so that the child isn't contagious to the other children. The way I explain it to parents is this: They wouldn't want me to allow a sick child into daycare to make THEIR child sick, would they? So I expect everyone to be considerate of all the other families. Try that.

KellyP
06-27-2013, 03:33 PM
A child needs to be symptom free WITHOUT the use of any medications for a FULL 24 hours before they are allowed to return to daycare.

If they are sent to daycare and get sick while here, I send them home and exclude for a FULL 48 hours (after the symptoms have dissipated)

I got that advice on another forum where someone was complaining about a parent who medicates their kid and sends them to daycare. The kid would get a fever after the meds wore off and then be sent home. They parent would then send the kids back after 24 hours saying the child was better and the same thing would happen again.

The parent was atleast getting a half day in at work and the provider was floored and upset but didn't know how to prove or stop the mom from medicating her kid and dropping off so someone else suggested having a 24/48 hour rule so parents would make thorough assessments of their own kids before dropping off and choosing to miss only one day rather than two days of daycare.
Hope that makes sense.

playfelt
06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Any rash should be diagnosed by a doctor and determined contagious or not in theory so everyone knows what they are dealing with.