PDA

View Full Version : Consequences for school agers

monkeymama
07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
this is my first summer taking school agers full time, and its not going as well as Id hoped! kids range in age from 4-7. they scream, rough house, don't follow direction etc. the younger ones respond to time outs pretty well but the older ones just mock me and then continue with the behavior. the rough housing and aggressive behavior coupled with bullying the younger ones is really trying my patience. any suggestions? I keep our day busy with lots of outside time, water activities, crafts and games everyday and we have a reading contest going on as well

KellyP
07-09-2013, 02:57 PM
The only suggestion I have is to not take school agers... :D

I do NOT take them for the very reasons you listed.

If not taking them isn't an option, how about making up some sort of activity jar...every time they fight, rough house or misbehave or say they are bored, have them pick an activity from the jar.

Have the activities be things like start a game of hide and seek, collect 10 things that begin with the letter A, read for 20 minutes, etc....

Depending on their behaviors, I would consider making a few choices be similar to "chores"...you know, like putting them to work. Have them sort out your crayon boxes (taking out the old ones), sort through your toy boxes, organize the books, etc....

I don't know...I really don't have anything to add....just tossing ideas out there....

Like I said, I don't take kids that old....they drive me crazy and NO amount of money is worth giving up my sanity. LOL!

KellyP
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Oooo!! and the mocking you would earn them a seat with NOTHING to do until their parent arrives for pick up! How disrespectful!!

(((hugs))) for dealing.

mimi
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
You need to show them who is in charge, because it sounds like they think collectively they are.
Consequences for disrespectful actions. No negotiating. Once they get you are the boss and the boss expects certain behaviours they will be much better behaved. Don't ask for good behaviour, tell them. The mocking would be responded to with chores and then sitting on a chair for the remainder of the day.
I am going to sound old but...........wow, to mock an adult wouldn't even enter our minds. If ever did that I would have been grounded forever and not have been able to sit down for a long while.