PDA

View Full Version : When a parent doesn't pay on time!

Skysue
08-06-2011, 02:29 PM
How do you ladies deal with this. Do you charge late fees every time regardless of the situation. I have been very relaxed with a family and it is now becomming every weekend that they forget.

playfelt
08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
First move payment day to Monday instead of Friday and that way you get paid in advance and it also means since I don't go to the bank till Sat that I can afford to give a couple days grace to certain families without it impacting on banking. If it is becoming a habit and you have let it slide in the past then there is a good reason to speak with them and remind them that if you don't get paid on time that you can't meet your financial obligations and that that includes food, crafts, etc for their child at daycare. Ask them if it would be ok if she didn't eat next week since they didn't pay you for her food. Sometimes we have to put things in terms they understand and can identify with. IF their child will be impacted they might be more likely to pay on time.

Play and Learn
08-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Same as Playfelt - move the pay day at drop off on Monday. They don't pay, they don't receive care.

Emilys4Guppies
08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I get paid in advance on Friday at pick-up. I sent out e-mail invoices to all my families on Thursday and they all pay on Friday by e-transfer. I had one family that paid late a few times but hasn't missed since I started sending out invoices.

Judy Trickett
08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I also get paid in advance for the week.

NO PAY - NO STAY

And, yes, I really mean that.;) I have actually turned away a kid and parent at the door to go get payment. That works WAY better than late fees. And the reason it works is because you made THEIR not paying you and inconvenience for THEM.

mom-in-alberta
08-08-2011, 10:01 AM
This is exactly why I ask for payment in advance, at the beginning of the month. I have had people that pay a couple days late, but have not had to get "tough" on anyone yet. I have a good batch of parents now that understand that this is my livelihood.
I agree that refusing childcare until paid in full is probably more effective than late fees. I mean, if they have already received the service, we don't have a whole lot of recourse at that point. If these parents have an issue, ask them if it would be ok if their employer held back thier paycheque without any notice!!

Katskids
08-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I also get paid in advance, every other Monday. Everyone always pays on time, unless it's a holiday. If I ever had a issue of parents repeatedly being late with payment, I would do exactly as Judy said, my time is valuable and parents have to respect that!

Sandbox Sally
08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I am paid in advance as well :)

Skysue
08-08-2011, 05:34 PM
These parents pay via e-mail transfer as well! She said she sent it out on Friday and pre paid for 2 weeks? I do e-mail transfers and I have never had a dely or probelm. I finally got payment at 6:15 on Saturday night.

I hate being put into this position. The little ones Dad dropped him off this morning and he was relauctant to come to me. His Dad kept saying go to Sue and he wouldn't. But it looked like he was seeing if they child had a problem with me or something. His Dad drops him off 10% of the time of course he doesn't want to come to me he wants to stay with his Dad. I felt like I could cut the air. I wanted to say something at pick up but I had another parent on the phone saying it is ok to send the kids across the road!

This is the only part about this business I hate. Parents that make you feel like crap when we are raising there kids. We have the most important job there is!

I hate being so angry!

Nifer
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I have the very same problem. I hate having to ask for my money. It's not a new concept people. Very different from my other family who apologize profusely at drop off if they forget and always bring it at pick up and apologize some more. May have to start asking for late fees and then terminate if that doesn't work. :(

spudjt
08-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I give a fee slip at beginning of the month and ask for post dated cheques dated for their pay days that month and both cheques need to be given by the first tues of the month for the upcoming month.

daynabreaton
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
HI I don't know if this will help, but inform tham that as of january you will be needing payment at the begining of the week and if payment is not given by monday at pick up you will be unable to care for the children till payment is recieved. this is how I do it and find it's just easier. If you have to issue a letter to all you parents

Skysue
08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't have a problem with this family paying but they just never do it on time. The e-mail transfer comes through as an after thought to the weekend and it bugs me as I feel like an after thought!

Would anyone dare pay there hairdresser a day late? I don't think so! :(

Feeling respected in this job at times is difficult!

I have become best friends with my daughters old provider and what a blessing that has been. Never in a milion years did I see that comming! I have appologized to her for soooo many thing since! LOL

Sarah
08-10-2011, 09:49 PM
How do you ladies deal with this. Do you charge late fees every time regardless of the situation. I have been very relaxed with a family and it is now becomming every weekend that they forget.

I used to send my kids to daycare, and I am really bad at paying on time, not because I didn't respect her, but because I was forgetting, always running for this and that, etc...

But she was a good friend to me before having my kids in daycare, so she kind of knew me.

She helped me by reminding me the day before, at morning, by saying Sarah it's thursday, don't forget your transfer, and on friday she would say "last day of the week, did you transfer my money.

After a few months, I was transfering without her even saying anything.

Maybe explain to her how it affects you. Maybe those parents just don't realize it, just because it is not the same environment as a work environment. But by having a good discussion about the affects it has on you, they will feel more for you, and you can offer to remind them the day before!

Sarah.

lilac
08-11-2011, 04:48 PM
When I had my kids in daycare, I found that I always forgot as well (also that b/c my paycheck went into my account on Fri and my kids didnt go to daycare friday it was a pain) after the first couple weeks I just decided to give her some post dated checks.

The one family that pays me by check is like this as well, always forgetting, (or mom was supposed to pick up so she had the cheque) always saying mom will stop by with the check on the way home or on our way out tonight. Occasionally this happens but mostly its sometime during the weekend, usually sunday, that I get a text that they dropped it in the mail box. It wouldnt bug me so much except that its a check... I usually go to the bank Fri night or Sat morning when I do my groceries...

Tinkerbell
08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
All daycare is pre-paid here...no cheques...no daycare.

lilac
08-24-2011, 12:15 PM
is it okay to ask for post dated checks? I offered them to my daycare provider when my kids were in daycare, it just made it easier for me and she didnt mind either.... but can I as a daycare provider now, ask this parent for post dated checks?

playfelt
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
As long as you stipulate in your contract how and when you wish to be paid there is no reason why not. I have a family that gives me checks for a month at a time and it works well.

playfelt
08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Second note on post dated cheques - do not give a receipt for payment till you have cashed each one. There is nothing to stop them from giving you cheques and then going to the bank and putting a stop payment on them.

FS2011
08-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I won't do post dates cheque, I'm cash or e transfer only. Cheques can be stopped, bounce...then I worry about my mortgage bouncing. No thanks!

lilac
08-26-2011, 08:01 PM
e-transfer... I like that... then I dont have to go to the bank at all!! But you still just have to get the parents to remember....

lilac
09-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Just wanted to share a comment I had from a parent lastnight...

Their kids have been coming to me for a year, always ALWAYS paid in cash, on time, sometimes early like on Thursday morning.... I never had to ask them!

Recently this changed, they are always forgetting, saying she'll send hubby w/ the money later Friday evening etc etc, and it never happens. 2 weeks ago, her kids came Mon and Tues and they were off on vacation the rest of the week, again when the promise to come back Tues night to pay me was broken, I finally had to email and ask her for the $$ on the following weekend as now I was on vaca and wanted the $$ for back to school shopping

ANYWAYS, lastnight, same thing, she'll send hubby backto pay me later that evening, he has recently switched jobs, at his old job he got paid by cheque so they had to go to the bank to deposit it, now he gets paid by direct deposit, so they dont have to go to the bank anymore......

leaving me to think that it was important for them to have their pay check deposited in a timely manner, but now that its done for them, its less important to pay me in a timely manner......

of course, hubby did not show lastnight to pay me....

Play and Learn
09-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Recently this changed, they are always forgetting, saying she'll send hubby w/ the money later Friday evening etc etc, and it never happens. 2 weeks ago, her kids came Mon and Tues and they were off on vacation the rest of the week, again when the promise to come back Tues night to pay me was broken, I finally had to email and ask her for the $$ on the following weekend as now I was on vaca and wanted the $$ for back to school shopping

ANYWAYS, lastnight, same thing, she'll send hubby backto pay me later that evening, he has recently switched jobs, at his old job he got paid by cheque so they had to go to the bank to deposit it, now he gets paid by direct deposit, so they dont have to go to the bank anymore......

leaving me to think that it was important for them to have their pay check deposited in a timely manner, but now that its done for them, its less important to pay me in a timely manner......

I would personally change in your manual/contract (and get them to sign it) that payment is to be dropped off on the 1st day of care for the week or you will NOT be taking them. YOU NEED TO BE PAID. We deal with enough bullshit. They will learn that you're serious after that!

lilac
09-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, I agree, I'd like to start being paid at the begining of the week, one of my families already does that. I'm going to talk to her about it... (these are the kids who are good friends w/ mine... on another thread some were talking about how sometimes its hard to NOT form a friendship w/ some families when your kids are friends) maybe put it to her the way I stated it on here... that as important as it is for her to get paid on time, it s also important for me, and then offer to take post dated checks so that she doesnt have to go to the bank.... see how that goes. I know we all talk about having a back bone, but in my current situation, I have to be careful about ticking anyone off... if she bolts b/c she does not like my policy change, Im up the creek w/o a paddle b/c I doubt I'll have any luck attracting 2 more kids to fill their spots when I'm going to take a 2 month maternity leave after Christmas.

New families, or my new contract next Sept (which ever comes first) will have to pay upfront... or no care... :unsure:

playfelt
09-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Lilac this would be a perfect opportunity to offer the direct payment to them. Since they likey go online to check to make sure his payment is deposited they can then do an email bank transfer to you from the same page and take care of it.

Judy Trickett
09-06-2011, 07:03 AM
ALWAYS get paid in advance. They pay the first day of the week of care (or earlier) for that week.

And then.....

NO PAY - NO STAY!