PDA

View Full Version : When it's too hot outside

JennJubie
07-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Do you guys bring the kids out much when it's very, very hot? I have a couple of little ones that over heat quickly and these high temps make me very nervous.

Crayola kiddies
07-16-2013, 06:55 AM
I go out first thing in the morning then come in around 10-10:30

playfelt
07-16-2013, 06:58 AM
If there is a warning to stay inside we do.. Same issue of little ones that are just learning to regulate temperature as well as breathing issues. Two of my gang had issues this winter and ended up on puffers. The one that had pneumonia has been especially sensitive to humidity setting off his need to use the inhalers.

At the same time because my gang is young there are plenty of physical things we can do inside so no issues that way. We are used to being active inside where they are on a flat surface as compared to outside. I still have one that is not walking. Although outside they mostly head for the sandbox it is still not easy to breathe for them when it is too hot. Parents are totally ok with them not going outside to play and are taking them out sometimes after supper for a bit of play.

Bookworm
07-16-2013, 07:51 AM
I told my dcparents that due to the extreme heat warning issued for our area, the likelyhood of us going outside this week was pretty slim. If we do end up going outside, it will be in the morning, and we will not be out for too long. My kids are all 18 months and up, but they are still susceptible to heat related issues, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

mimi
07-16-2013, 08:01 AM
I put a notice up for parents just stating due to high heat/humidity, high uv and poor air quality, we will limit outdoor time to the early morning - and even then depending on the "feels like" temperature, may not go out at all. Today, we are staying in.

playfelt
07-16-2013, 09:04 AM
It was already reaching the hard to breathe stage at 6:15 when I poked my head out the door to get the paper. Haven't poked out since. Usually I open the windows in the kitchen/diningroom play area from 6:00 - 6:30 in the morning but after 15 minutes was making the air conditioner kick in and the dial for that is other side of the house so a good reason to close up and hope for better conditions later tonight instead.

Momof4
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
I let my dcparents know that we won't be going outside this week. However, tomorrow morning we're having a beach party and I asked all the parents to send the children in bathing suits. We'll go outside and either run in the rain or play in the water table but only for about 1/2 an hour, then we'll come inside again. We travelled to the library yesterday morning but we were inside mostly and even took the bus both ways to cool down.

I have spritzer bottles from the dollar store that mists the children and cools them off (and me) when it's really hot outside. But this kind of over 40 humidity is too ridiculous, you can't even breathe out there. People came in dripping with sweat before 8am so we're staying in.

Sandbox Sally
07-16-2013, 09:32 AM
We were out for an hour or so this am, and won't be going out again. Ugh. I was actually considering bringing the water table into my play room. :D It's tile, and I only have one dck here today, because of part time and holidays.

torontokids
07-16-2013, 11:41 AM
We went out this morning for a while. We stayed in the shade (I moved the water table in the shade) and had homemade popsicles by 9:30! We went in by 10. Think we'll stay in this afternoon.

My daughter got heat exhaustion yesterday afternoon when we were outside for the last hour of the day. The babies were all fine though. It just shows you never know when or who it will hit.

sunnydays
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Yesterday and today we went to the splash pad down the street first thing in the morning and came back by around 9:45 both days. I made sure to sprinkle water on the little ones who tend not to get wet at the splash pad and everyone had a great time and no over-heating. We do not go out in the afternoon when it is hot like this...in fact there have have been so many days we have not been able to go out in the afternoon this summer as my backyard gets afternoon sun and it is always hotter at that time of day. So we stay in after our little morning outing. If they are calling for thunderstorms still tomorrow we likely won't go out at all or I may set up some water activities in my back yard for early in the morning as it is shady there at that time. I think parents would rather we didn't give them heat stroke, so I have never had a parent complain that we aren't going out in the heat. Thank God for air conditioning, that's all I can say! With global warming, this type of heat wave may become more and more common, so I guess we had better adjust!

monkeymama
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
We go out. I keep the little ones in the shade and do lots of water activities. we usually go out early in the morning and come in by 11

Artsand crafts
07-16-2013, 12:03 PM
We aren't going outside either this week. It's too hot and I have 3 infants. We are doing indoor activities instead. Maybe tomorrow I'll take them out early in the morning for a bit and set up the water table.

Miss Amanda
07-16-2013, 12:21 PM
We went outside this morning and we played in the shade, but came back inside within half an hour. Too hot to stay outside any longer.

Skysue
07-16-2013, 01:30 PM
We go out. I keep the little ones in the shade and do lots of water activities. we usually go out early in the morning and come in by 11

Monkeymama that's exactly what I do, we have a freezie on the porch before coming in to start lunch!

Other Mummy
07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
We went out today at 11:00 and stayed for 40 min. But we were all wet. And enjoying plenty of water and shade. My crew would go nuts without some outdoor time! We won't be going out this afternoon. If this heat keeps up, it might as well be a rainy day for all the outdoor activity we will be doing ( we go out in the light rain with raincoats, boats, etc.) but only stay 20 min. or so. :(

FSD
07-16-2013, 02:23 PM
I take them out everyday, (unless it's raining) in the morning from 10-11am. If I don't the kids go nutso being stuck in the house all day!!! By taking them out in the morning, my backyard is half in the shade so I keep the water table and little ride on toys in the shady part for the wee little ones to enjoy. In this intense heat I won't be able to take them out in the afternoon since the backyard is in full sun and it's completely unbearable!

playfelt
07-16-2013, 07:55 PM
We sort of are doing a compromise on schedule this week which actually works in my favour as I don't have to plan much. Parents are happy we aren't going out during the day and are taking their kids to the splash pads or in their back yard pool after supper which means a later night getting to bed. I have been asked to allow them to nap as long as they want which today was 3 hours for most of them. Makes for an easy day in the sense that when they are tired they don't want to play much so just sit around and look at books or make puzzles or do non active things.

My yard has sun in the morning and is 3/4 shade in the late afternoon which is why we normally head outside after naptime. Instead we are bouncing on exercise balls and I have the rocking toys in the house for the week. Also have my crier/whiner child on vacation this week so I am really enjoying my time.