PDA

View Full Version : Books

mamaof4
08-07-2011, 09:26 PM
what are your favorite books to read to the kids?

playfelt
08-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Not sure that I have a favourite but we get books monthly from Scholastic so there is no shortage. I often read a book and that is the focus theme for the day so it isn't always about how good the book is but more about how it sparks an interest in front end loaders or dolphins or whatever activities I have planned for the rest of the day.

Emilys4Guppies
08-08-2011, 08:41 AM
We also have a steady stream coming in and out. Right now I have lots of babies too, so I have a whole ton of board books...cheerio play books, Sandra Boynton, Big Book of Colours/Vehicles/Animals, ect.

Play and Learn
08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
No favourite books here. I just rotate all my books for the kids to look through, and then I have a collection of my own books.

For the kids books to look at, I go to garage sales and pick up some books for them. Then with these books, I don't mind if they get torn/ripped up. For my own books, my mom is a teacher, so I get to look through the Scholastic books, and buy through there!

Spixie33
08-08-2011, 11:33 AM
My fav (and the kids') favourites seem to be

The board Slide and Find version of Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do you See?

Knuffle Bunny -- cute and fun

Llama Llama Red Pajama

Mr Brown can Moo...can you?

It's Not Easy Being a Bunny

and the Paperbag Princess and Mud Puddle

All the Little Critter books are good
and
IF You give a pig a Pancake....If you Give a Moose a Muffin and if you give a Mouse a cookie seem to work well

I have tons of Dr Seuss and Munsch but most don't seem to catch on. If there is too much text and the pictures don't change often enough then kids walk off during storytime

Spixie33
08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
No favourite books here. I just rotate all my books for the kids to look through, and then I have a collection of my own books.

For the kids books to look at, I go to garage sales and pick up some books for them. Then with these books, I don't mind if they get torn/ripped up. For my own books, my mom is a teacher, so I get to look through the Scholastic books, and buy through there!

I do something similar. I have a book basket with board books that the kids can look at and be rough with.

But a few months ago I packed up my actual book shelf with the nicer and softer books and put them in a different room in rubbermaid containers to save them. I hate seeing books ruined. I pick a book a day to read outloud from the box and then during the day kids bring me board books from the book basket that they want me to read to them