PDA

View Full Version : Zumba anyone?

mimi
07-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Even though having a daycare keeps us on the go, I feel the need to get some exercise that does not involve lifting babies and running after rogue toddlers.

Do any of you have an outside fitness regiment? I don't think I am one for a fitness club, however I have been eyeing Zumba classes as they look like it could be fun and even though I'm not a great dancer, I do like the idea of exercise to a beat that seems like dance.

Has anyone tried this? Did you lose weight?

I appreciate any suggestions. My bathing suit seems to be cringing at the back of it's drawer anticipating the struggle to fit everything inside of it. LOL

Miss Amanda
07-18-2013, 07:12 AM
I love zumba! I use to do it once a week and abosultely loved it! The key though is finding an excellent zumba instructor. I use to belong to Goodlife Fitness and they had a really good instructor and then she left. The one that replaced her was horrible, so I stopped going. I would suggest to try out a few different ones before you commit to a particular one. They also have beginner classes and ones that are a little more advanced. I preferred the more advanced one because I have a background in dance. I do miss zumba, and you have officially inspired me to maybe go back to it! :) It's definetly a great workout because it's fun and the best part is that you don't feel like a workout!

~Dance like no one is watching~

Miss Amanda
07-18-2013, 07:14 AM
correction... "The best part is that IT dosen't feel like a workout!" lol

MonkeyPrincess
07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
I love love love Zumba!!! I have been going twice a week for the most part of the last two years. I did lose about 20 lbs in the beginning because i was trying to lose the rest ofthe baby weight. It is my stress relief for sure. I would go nuts if I didn't go to Zumba regularly. I totally recommend it. Most instructors will let you try a class for free or on a pay as you go system. It is so much fun!

KellyP
07-18-2013, 10:43 AM
I bought the Zumba workout for my Wii! I love it and it is definitely a work out but I am not coordinated enough to do it "correctly".... LOL!!

I take the tutorials that break down each step individually and then goes faster as you catch on but I don't ever seem to catch on....

But I figure as long as I am moving, I am burning calories so maybe one day it will just "click" and I will get it.

mimi
07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm the same way kellyP, it takes a while for the co-ordination and doing the correct steps to kick in, however, you are right, the point is to keep moving and keeping up with the beat.

I am not as disciplined as you to work out at home because I always see something else that needs doing (or that book that needs reading LOL) so a out of the house setting will work better for me.

playfelt
07-18-2013, 12:49 PM
I have a stepper from the days when that was the in thing and a video that goes with it and I could barely master the warm up section before I was so confused I would just give up and let the daycare kids jump on and off it while video played out and I kept hoping if I watched it enough I would get it. I would give the kids towels on the carpet to stand on and do the exercises with me while I used the actual stepper. This was a morning ritual .....for a very short while till I got too discouraged.

mimi
07-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Since you brought up the topic of "older" exercise props playfelt, I once received FOR CHRISTMAS a Suzanne Somers thigh master. My mother thought it was a great idea. At the time I was 5'7 and 120lbs. What was she thinking? I still remind her every Christmas when I open her gift and she asks if I like it. I just say it's not a thigh master, but I like it anyway" LOL

playfelt
07-18-2013, 01:30 PM
I was looking in the scholastic catalogue at some yoga for kids CD's that come with an instruction booklet and thinking that is where I need to start whether the kids can do it or not - or maybe I can learn from them. Baby steps as they say to fitness and this is a good place to start I think. I have an elliptical trainer in the basement I never use or if I do it is in 2 minute segments to a total of 5-6 minutes while they have freeplay before I have to intervene or get something etc.

michellesmunchkins
07-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I do Zumba 3x a week at the gym. Its fantastic. I agree that its only as good as the instructor though. The good ones make it great fun, the boring ones it actually feels like a work out. I also have zumba for the xbox (not as much fun as the classes at the gym but a good start if your worried about it). I had no coordination or rhythm when I began. I've lost 90 pounds (not just from zumba but it certainly has helped). My daughter and I have just been asked to start teaching the classes at the gym too :)

mimi
07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Wow michellesmunchkins.9 0 lbs!!! Good for you!!:thumbsup: Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am going to join a Zumba class. I will try a couple of places out like you ladies suggested and find the best fit for me.