PDA

View Full Version : Instead of Playpen

betsy
07-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Instead of a playpen, can you suggest anything to segregate non-walkers from the
older ones?

The idea is to keep the infant on the floor for play, he can see and be with the older kids - thus he doesn't feel isolated - yet at the same time, he is protected from being stepped on.

torontokids
07-21-2013, 08:19 AM
You could use gates to section off certain areas. I have a baby play area that has been divided using my toy shelves. It's really just a visual barrier as I have the one end open but it works.

Kellybelly83
07-21-2013, 09:56 AM
What about one of those stationary exersaucers/jumpers? Most non walkers love those (although it can be quite hit or miss ha ha) because they can stand up and interact with the other kids etc. My kids loved those, and the newer ones are great because they can spin around and play with all the different toys that are attached to it. You can get them for a good deal used, and even on sale at walmart etc. I know I will have at least one when I open my dayhome! :D

KellyP
07-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Personally, I am NOT a fan of any infant equipment such as exersaucers, swings, jumpers etc. as I feel they severely limit the child's ability to explore their surroundings and environment.

I think that sometimes the over use of those types of things hinders a child's natural development and can delay walking, standing, crawling etc.

I would use gates as well. I would also consider using furniture such as shelves or taller toy furniture such as kitchen centers and such for room dividers.

That way each toddler and/or infant has a safe place to move and explore.

playfelt
07-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Remember your "infants" will be a year old when starting care so likely standing and cruising at least. Mostly they will just need an area where their toys can be and the older children need a reminder to stay away from the baby area - ie easier to teach the big kids to stay out of the baby's way than the other way around. Make an area for the older children with their big toys - like small lego or make those toys that only come out when the babies are napping.

Also since we have full day kindergarten in Ontario kids are only in care from age 1 - 3 so it was easier for me to remove toys meant for older kids and make the room pretty much safe for all ages as in nothing babies could choke on. I stay near the littlest ones but everyone has free reign of the play room.

There are play yards you can buy at places like ToysRus that are 6 or more sections you create a large safe play area with. They do take up quite a bit of space but will give you that secure feeling you are wanting.

Momof4
07-21-2013, 12:00 PM
As Playfelt mentioned, usually children start with us when they are close to their first birthday so they are of a good size and not in danger from the others. I've only had one tiny baby start with me and I set up a swing in the corner of the room so that I could put her in there for safety sake when I had to run out of the room for a minute. A playpen would work for that too.

It's my opinion that all the children should learn to respect each other and learn to look out for their smaller friends so I don't want to segregate them in any way except for sleeping in their own beds.

Kellybelly83
07-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I guess I was thinking younger than a year lol... don't get me wrong, I would not have a baby in an exersaucer for the entire day or even long periods, but I do find them useful at times for sure, if the bigger kids are playing a very active game etc.especially if it's a smaller space to work with. It's very true that the older kids need to learn to respect the younger one's space and vice versa, that's just how the world works :) I'm very fortunate to have a bedroom turned playroom right next to my daycare living room/play area, so it will be a little easier to separate the age groups as needed.

betsy
07-23-2013, 05:18 AM
Yes, I've used exersaucer before...it's great when I have to keep the child with me as I prep meals, or when the bigger kids were involved in active play.

But this time around, I hope to focus on infants and toddlers (8 months old to 3 years old)....if I have two that are close in age, it would be nice to have them together in their own space to interact with each other.

I saw some gates (surround-something) which will be ideal. And yes, shelves are practical to section off space.

Thank you folks for your support! We are investing quite a substantial amount to this business - it is however a practical solution for us to get back into it - so you can just imagine the anxiety involved.