PDA

View Full Version : Nap Refusal

torontokids
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
My 3 yr old dcb has started making a fuss about naps. He understands the expectation here but has even started saying "I want to go to a different daycare." I explained that all daycare's will require him to have a rest time and he doesn't actually have to nap here, he can read in his cot (I am TV free). I asked his mom about it as a 3 y o wouldn't just bring that up without having that conversation with an adult. She said that she is very happy with me and is happy he is napping with me.

Some back story. Parents are divorced, both parents have a difficult time setting limits with their son. When he came to me in Feb he hadn't napped for over a yr as they felt he had out grown it (I explained the difference between out growing and his starting to refuse). He naps for me and always has.

What would you do? Just continue ignoring his comments and take this as his trying to challenge me and get out of nap time? His parents still can't get him to nap and he does not nap on the weekends or on vacation. He is just coming back from a week holiday where I am confidant he would not have napped all week.

I had posted a while back about developing some nap activity bags for when the older children wake up. I mentioned this to him and he liked the idea. I am still unsure how to implement this so he doesn't start refusing his nap altogether.

playfelt
07-22-2013, 12:43 PM
You come to check on him and ONLY if he is actually asleep do you leave the activity bag for when he wakes up.

Fearlessbaby
07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
It's frustrating when kids won't sleep during naps and it doesn't help that parents aren't on board,,, I'm in a similar situation - my 14 month old needs to always sleep in his stroller for naps and I've been bringing it inside and rocking him, but no more! Plus he's just come back from a 2 week vacation and is now crying in his playpen,,, I'm putting my foot down and telling mom that it's playpen or nothing and to please help him get on schedule at home by putting him to sleep at around 1pm on weekends,,,, I've worked in centres where the older kids colour or read, but try to see if he'll still nap and if he still refuses, then you get him some quiet nap time activities,,, Good luck!