PDA

View Full Version : Evacuation plan....

betsy
07-24-2013, 05:13 AM
In case of fire emergency, how will you evacuate 5 children if they're all under the age of 2....non of them are walkers?

Judy Trickett
07-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Everyone's evacuation plan is going to be different based on the lay out of their house. But every quality daycare WILL have an evacuation plan in place and will actually practice that plan from time to time.

mimi
07-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Before I opened I had to have a visit from the fire department. Part of the checklist was that I had to have an evacuation plan posted on the wall. My dc layout gives me 2 exits. If there was a fire, trust me, your adrenalin would kick in and you would be superwoman carrying these toddlers out the door. As a former flight attendant we were taught life over limbs during an evacuation.

Mama W2
07-24-2013, 08:54 AM
I have four children (two walkers and two non walkers). They all sleep in separate rooms. Back of my house is highest up from ground and front you could climb from window to ground no problem. My evacuation is to go from back to front, getting all children out of bed. My son is 3 and he knows to go outside (front door or side door) as soon as I say. If playing inside, he is to take little one who can walk and hold her hand to guide her out of house in front of me while I carry other two.
The scary part about it, is depending on the emergency, you may need to alter your plan.

Momof4
07-24-2013, 11:35 AM
I had a visit from the fire marshall too, courtesy of a crazy neighbour who called and reported me as having an unsafe daycare, ugh! They are gone thank goodness and I'm still here working hard. But it turned out to be a good learning experience for me because the good looking (teehee) fire marshall was kind enough to tell me that even though my apartment only has one door for an exit I have large windows that open in every room so those are also acceptable as fire escape routes.

When we have a fire drill we go out the door of course but if there were a real emergency and we couldn't get to the door I'm on the ground floor and we would be out the window. Make sure you have a plan like that with a definite way out and alternates as well.

torontokids
07-24-2013, 11:43 AM
This is an area I am worried about as well. We have multiple fire exits and my plan is to grab my girls first as they sleep upstairs and run to the basement with them (this is where my daycare is) and grab the rest of the kids exiting from one of 4 basement fire exits.

I wonder if it would be smarter to put my girls out on the front porch (not enclosed but there is a railing with a gate) as we run past this to get to the basement or should we all stay together. My oldest is 3.5 and youngest 18 mos. I don't know if I feel super safe having them alone on the porch but I wonder if the safety issues with that out weigh the risks of keeping them in the house? Other thoughts?

mamaof4
07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
I would keep them in the house. I would just feel safer that way,

betsy
07-25-2013, 03:57 AM
I would keep them in the house. I would just feel safer that way,

But if there is fire?.....

Every seconds to get out count.

betsy
07-25-2013, 04:04 AM
The daycare will be in our basement, and naps will be taken in the basement as well. We've got a ranch-style house and two possible exits - up to the front door, and towards the garage (attached to the basement).

I've got fire alarms on both levels.

My imagination is running away with me here :D....
Desperate scenario: If for some reason we cannot use the two doors, I plan to use the windows that opens to the lawn (fortunately there are no shrubs). Just lift them one at a time, and push them out the window.

Yes, tis true about adrenaline kicking in!

betsy
07-25-2013, 04:09 AM
This is an area I am worried about as well. We have multiple fire exits and my plan is to grab my girls first as they sleep upstairs and run to the basement with them (this is where my daycare is) and grab the rest of the kids exiting from one of 4 basement fire exits.

I wonder if it would be smarter to put my girls out on the front porch (not enclosed but there is a railing with a gate) as we run past this to get to the basement or should we all stay together. My oldest is 3.5 and youngest 18 mos. I don't know if I feel super safe having them alone on the porch but I wonder if the safety issues with that out weigh the risks of keeping them in the house? Other thoughts?

I would prefer for us all to stay together. I have an area sectioned off for quiet play....those who wake up earlier than the others will play in the quiet area with puzzles, leggos etc..,

betsy
07-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Way back when I had a daycare, our drill included the possibility that they might have to act on their own. I had older children then.

We pretended that I got overcome by smoke, or I had an heart attack or I got injured and unconscious.....the older ones (3 years and above) were instructed to grab hold of the toddlers (who can walk) and just go straight out and head for the neighbors. Tell the neighbors that their caregiver is injured (and if there's any baby left in the house with her). I was thinking that they might end up overcome by smoke if they try to lift up the non-walkers....or they might panic and just huddle with everyone. They know which houses are likely to have people during the day.

I stressed out that the sooner they can tell someone, the better chances of the caregiver and anyone left behind to be saved.

My husband works from the house most of the time now, therefore most of the time I'll have some help in case of emergency.

playfelt
07-25-2013, 07:21 AM
With the access to 911 in most areas children are often taught to dial in an emergency and even if they don't say anything once the operator comes on they then can trace back to the source.

Another option is a monitored alarm system. If a fire is detected by the system they call for dispatch.

While we all worry about things like fire - remember that most occur while sleeping when we are not aware of what is going on till it is out of control. When cooking in the kitchen know where the children are. Know the windows from the outside of your home so you can say to a fireman - the child is in that room and point to the right window - remember it will be reversed from outside.

Simply being aware of what your options are and how you will adjust according to where the fire is should be part of the plan. For example having a fire extinguisher is for clearing an exit path out of the home not fighting a small fire. Fire safety is an area where we can get ourselves into a frenzy over as we don't deal well with the unexpected.

betsy
07-25-2013, 12:24 PM
With the access to 911 in most areas children are often taught to dial in an emergency and even if they don't say anything once the operator comes on they then can trace back to the source.

Ooooh.... Never thought of that one. Thanks.

While we all worry about things like fire - remember that most occur while sleeping when we are not aware of what is going on till it is out of control. When cooking in the kitchen know where the children are. Know the windows from the outside of your home so you can say to a fireman - the child is in that room and point to the right window - remember it will be reversed from outside.

Simply being aware of what your options are and how you will adjust according to where the fire is should be part of the plan. For example having a fire extinguisher is for clearing an exit path out of the home not fighting a small fire. Fire safety is an area where we can get ourselves into a frenzy over as we don't deal well with the unexpected.

Thank you for these tips.