PDA

View Full Version : Rules on siblings and illness

Shannie
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I have siblings in my care. The DCG was sick with diarrhea yesterday ( I found out that they had they flu on the weekend) and the DCB wasn't feeling the best, I sent them both home. Today Mom kept the DCG home but sent DCB. He cries at the littlest things but does seem much better than yesterday. Anyways, what are your policies on sick siblings? If one is sick, shouldn't they both stay home? I just really don't want my other little ones to get this. Thank you!

Momof4
07-24-2013, 11:38 AM
A really considerate parent would keep both children home since they are staying home from work for one anyway. I suppose a lazy or disrespectful parent might not care that they are spreading germs through your entire home and daycare. I wish you the best of luck!

This is the type of event that makes you go back and look at your contract and make changes for the next renewal or the next new client. As you learn you make your contract stricter.

Other Mummy
07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Momof4 hit the nail on the head. This is EXACTLY why I had to revise my contract when I had a pair of siblings last year. Mother was super lazy. Would bring one child, when the other was sick. Well, it always resulted in the other sibling getting sick a day or so later and spreading their germs. I put my foot down. My policy now states that if a sibling is absent due to illness, than both children need to stay home. If mom or dad is staying home anyway to care for a sick child than bringing the other sibling to daycare is being lazy and disrespectful.

sunnydays
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
While I am not thrilled when one sibling is sick, but the other comes to me, I don't know that I would go as far as actually forcing both to stay home if one is healthy. I don't see it necessarily as the parents being lazy...it could be that they want to be able to care for the sick child better and/or take him/her to the doctor without having to drag the other child along. A sick child sometimes requires a lot of TLC and maybe the mom or dad at home just wants to be able to provide that without having to keep the other child entertained as well. If I have one sibling sick, I just watch the other like a hawk for signs of illness and hope for the best. If a parent is sick, I don't expect them to keep the kids home in case they are carrying germs. If one of my kids is sick, I don't keep my other healthy child away from the daycare kids. I just think there is only so much you can do.

torontokids
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
I think if the child is fine to participate I would let them come. The siblings I had, often one would be sick and the other fine. Same with my daughters where one won't get it.

I don't know if I like the comment about parents being lazy. Having the other child away is nice for the sick child as they get more 1:1 time when they need it most and the well child gets a break from the TV as mom/dad may be busy with the sick kid.

sunnydays
07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
LOL...I guess Torontokids and I had the same thought at the same moment ;)

torontokids
07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
We were typing at the same time Sunnydays!

torontokids
07-24-2013, 12:04 PM
heh heh...and again

sunnydays
07-24-2013, 12:06 PM
LOL:laugh: Great minds think alike!

bright sparks
07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
I appreciate that the risks are higher in that the sibling is more likely to get ill or at least carry the illness into the daycare making it more likely for other children in care to catch something, but that's it. Its just a higher risk, not a certainty. How many kids go to a play centre and mingle with other children in close contact and could spread illness around unknowingly. Okay, so that's something that can't be controlled and is not to anyone' s knowledge, but you can't penalize the sibling who has zero symptoms and keep them at home. It would actually be in that child's best interest to be kept away from their sick sibling. The parent's are not being lazy IMO at all. The sick child needs 1 on 1 and the well child will be neglected as a result. Is there nothing that people won't complain about anymore. The parent pays for the spot of a perfectly healthy child to the best of their knowledge. To still have them attend daycare is their right as a paying parent and it's unfortunately just one of the risks that comes with running a daycare where illness can be spread very quickly. Next we are going to need additional policies stating that if they have been in close proximity to anyone with illness they need to stay away. How ridiculous is that!?!For that sibling to stay home for 24 hours while the other child gets over the illness and becomes symptom free, could result in the well child's increased chance of carrying something into daycare the next day due to extended exposure to the illness.

It sucks when people bring illness into daycare, but it is what it is and there has to be a line drawn before things get ridiculous.

Shannie
07-24-2013, 01:49 PM
I would be ok with bringing one and not the other had they not both had the flu all weekend and they were both sick yesterday. So they are both getting over it and one just has diarrhea and the other does not. DCB is super whiny, cries over everything (another kid spilled a small amount of water on his arm and he had a huge meltdown) He is better than yesterday but definitely not 100% better. I just wonder why mom would keep one kid home and not the other when they are both sick and if it would be inappropriate for me to suggest that.

playfelt
07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Shannie in your case I think it is fair to tell the mom the child is not up to par and needs to be at home too but that would have been early morning when it was obvious he wasn't coping. However, by tomorrow he may be better so it is almost too late to suggest she keep him home. You could suggest to her that if sibling is not coming back that he be given the extra day to rest too.

Momof4
07-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Ok, sorry but I was speaking from a bad experience. I'm only in my 6th year of business and I've only had 1 family with siblings in care who left a sour taste in my mouth, but gave me the opportunity to revamp my contract policies in many ways. They did things like this, one child was home sick, the other came here, made all of us sick, then was kept home sick while the other child was here all peppy and feeling better while the rest of us were sick. It was not fun. I really hope that doesn't happen to the original poster of this thread.

Shannie
07-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Update: DCB cried on and off most of yesterday. today both kids are here for about an hour so far. DCG is already napping (usually 12:30 is nap time) DCB doesn't want to do anything but sit on the couch. doesn't want to go outside or eat. He even refused to watch trucks on the deck and eat a frozen juice (2 favorite things). Should I be sending them home? The other 2 kids are used to walks in the morning and outdoor time. Neither are happening anytime soon now.

sunnydays
07-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Update: DCB cried on and off most of yesterday. today both kids are here for about an hour so far. DCG is already napping (usually 12:30 is nap time) DCB doesn't want to do anything but sit on the couch. doesn't want to go outside or eat. He even refused to watch trucks on the deck and eat a frozen juice (2 favorite things). Should I be sending them home? The other 2 kids are used to walks in the morning and outdoor time. Neither are happening anytime soon now.

Yes, I would send them home if they are clearly unwell. When I said I wouldn't send one sibling home if the other was sick, I meant if the one who came had no symptoms and was not ill. In this case, the are both unwell and should be at home.