PDA

View Full Version : Glimmer of hope?

sunnydays
07-25-2013, 12:45 PM
CCPRN shared this article:

http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/3906414-d-amato-no-easy-answers-in-home-daycare-issue-just-more-questions/

Seems like maybe Liz Sandals is treading carefully now when it comes to changing things for home daycare providers. I like to think it is due to all of the input many of us have given on the dangers of forcing us to be licensed or work with agencies...but who knows!

playfelt
07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Love the article. Maybe moving childcare to the ministry of education was a smart move on the government's part. It sounds from the article like it is being seen for what it really is and not mixed into the other programs for social services that it was with before. Glimmer of hope for sure..... now to pounce on this and move it forward.....

mimi
07-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for bringing this to the forums attention. It sounds like some rethinking is going on. I am still adamant about parents having a responsibility to ensure their child is in a safe and nurturing daycare. They need to be observant to the daycare each time they drop off/pick up their child and engage the provider to find out how they think their child is doing and not settling for a "fine" answer. If the parent pays attention to their child and their daycare they will quickly learn if it is a good place to bring their child.

playfelt
07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
For anyone that has been following what has been going on in schools over the years and how the government is changing education and not always for the better should bring Liz Sandals to pause and question why we are changing a system that works when what it really needs is some tweaking only.

As a teacher, there is no way I want to go back into teaching in a classroom. What I know from my teacher's college days has been so distorted for political gain is it any wonder there is an increase in homeschooling, private and parochial schools popping up everywhere. But this article gives me comfort to know that there is at least one person with authority saying WHoooo hold on here a minute, let's look at all angles of this before we proceed.

sunnydays
07-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes, it gave me some hope too. I think CCPRN as well as many of us caregivers have shared our intelligent views and experience with this matter and perhaps it has actually been heard and taken into consideration. Again, I agree, tweaking is needed (as Playfelt put it)...improvements can be made...but drastic changes are not necessarily going to change anything in terms of the safety of kids. Parents definitely need to be careful where they leave their children. Parents are always welcome in my daycare to stay and observe a bit...that gives them the peace of mind they need to feel comfortable leaving their kids with me. I would not put my child in a daycare where I would not be allowed to drop by and observe a bit.

Judy Trickett
07-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Well, well, it appears there is actually a politician with some common sense! It's a miracle!