PDA

View Full Version : To Ontario Providers

betsy
07-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Do you take Easter Monday and Civic Holiday as Stat - do you get paid for those days?

Also, do your part-time clients also pay for stats?

playfelt
07-27-2013, 11:50 AM
I take both of those as paid stats. My part timers pay if the day falls on a normal day.

Momof4
07-27-2013, 12:49 PM
I call them Closed Daycare Days in my contract because they are not all stats. Some of mine are Easter Monday, Family Day, Christmas Eve Day, but not Remembrance Day. I have a total of 15 paid closed days and as you can see, not all of them are stats. Also, I have a federal employee as a daycare Mom so she gets Remembrance Day off but not Family Day.

All my closed days are clearly written at the top of my contract and when I write a letter to my dcparents in Dec. to advise them of my closed vacation days for the next year I remind them to check the contract for my closed days that their employer may not recognize as stat days. I do this as a courtesy for my clients so that when their employers ask them what days they want to book off the next year they can also book off my closed paid days as needed.

apples and bananas
07-27-2013, 06:11 PM
I close on those days. But I do not get paid for stats. So, they're just my days off.

betsy
07-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Thank you ladies for your responses.

sunnydays
07-28-2013, 09:43 AM
I call them Closed Daycare Days in my contract because they are not all stats. Some of mine are Easter Monday, Family Day, Christmas Eve Day, but not Remembrance Day. I have a total of 15 paid closed days and as you can see, not all of them are stats. Also, I have a federal employee as a daycare Mom so she gets Remembrance Day off but not Family Day.

All my closed days are clearly written at the top of my contract and when I write a letter to my dcparents in Dec. to advise them of my closed vacation days for the next year I remind them to check the contract for my closed days that their employer may not recognize as stat days. I do this as a courtesy for my clients so that when their employers ask them what days they want to book off the next year they can also book off my closed paid days as needed.

Exactly this. Except this year I added Rememberance Day as well since my husband is off. You can take any days you want to as long is it ic clear in your contract and parents know in advance which days you are closed. Everything is in my contract and it is right at the top listed out as to which days I am closed (I renew this yearly so I have the exact dates for the entire year listed). No surprises...no reason for complaint as parents agree to this when they sign on with me.

Artsand crafts
07-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Hi Momof4, I don't take Christmas Eve off, but I would like to and I would like it to be paid. I currently have in my contract that I close all stat holidays and I expect full payment. How do you word that day in your contract? Do you just call them holidays (instead of stat holidays and the include it)?

Momof4
07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi A&C, hehe, my you are so formal! Here is the clause from my contract but I cant get the formatting to work here on the forum. I have the holidays listed in 3 columns. I wrote Christmas Eve Day into my contract a few years ago because of old clients who left their child here all day long so they could finish their shopping and I had so much to do that day. Once again I learned a lesson.

Paid Days Off – Daycare Closed

The daycare will not operate on the following holidays:

New Year’s Day Family Day Good Friday
Easter Monday Victoria Day Canada Day
August Civic Holiday Labour Day Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Eve Day Christmas Day Boxing Day

Should the holiday fall on a weekend the following business day will be taken in lieu. Regular weekly fees apply for all holidays when the daycare is closed for full time children and for part-time children who normally book the day of the holiday or the day in lieu.

Sandbox Sally
07-29-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't take Easter Monday or Christmas Eve off.

I get paid for all recognized Ontario stats as outlined here http://www.statutoryholiday s.com/ontario.php, and I close.

Judy Trickett
07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Yes, I get paid for them and I am closed. Basically, parents pay for any stat or civic holiday that falls on any day their child would normally attend.

Artsand crafts
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Thank you Momof4. I just added Easter Monday, too :)

playfelt
07-30-2013, 07:27 AM
I know a lot don't get Easter Monday but it was a family thing for me in putting it in. We didn't travel with the kids at Christmas so it was Thanksgiving as the last time we visited family and if we were going to go again it would be the Easter long weekend or they would come to visit us. More usual is that family was involved with church events that often was special choirs, drama plays etc on Good Friday/Easter Sunday and well after all the extra rehearsals and the fact Friday was not a holiday at my house I wanted the Monday to either rest up or travel home depending on what we had done that year.

Remembrance Day is not a holiday for everyone either but since hubby is military it allowed me to attend ceremony with him if I wanted. Here in Ottawa federal workers get the day and I disliked doing daycare for them while they got a day to start their Christmas shopping. So in there for both reasons.

Now depending on what my family is doing, how much I like a family or what their circumstances I have made myself available for both of these holidays - sometimes with extra pay and sometimes not - things like a student writing a university exam, a single mom with no family in the area who works in a restaurant that is open, etc. Then again if I am opening for them at no fee, I let others know I am open but at a premium and well some end up paying me extra and some don't and that is my business and I make an extra $50-75 for the day - just by putting it in my contract I can be closed if I want to be.

Sandbox Sally
07-30-2013, 02:35 PM
So, Easter Monday is a statutory holiday? My husband doesn't get it off, and he gets off every other stat. I am confused. I am all in for an extra paid day off. LOL ;)

Momof4
07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
So, Easter Monday is a statutory holiday? My husband doesn't get it off, and he gets off every other stat. I am confused. I am all in for an extra paid day off. LOL ;)
No, I never got Easter Monday off as a stat all the years I worked for someone else either. But I did write it into my contract several years ago. We can take whatever days we want to take in my opinion as long as it's in our contract and our clients are aware of our closed days and find it acceptable.

playfelt
07-30-2013, 04:55 PM
The list of days for Federal employees and Provincial employees is different and of course provincial varies by province. Mostly I follow the federal list because that is the days my husband gets off.