PDA

View Full Version : Constipation....What do you feel is right?

LittleLuvbugs
08-10-2011, 10:32 AM
A child in my care has been badly constipated and hasn't been able to go for almost a week. He can go a little bit but screams and cries when he does. He is complaining about tummy pain and tries over and over to go with no luck. I spoke to his parent last thursday about this and gave my suggestions on what I feel might help. Today she brought me suppositories and said that it didn't work last night :( I feel aweful that he has to come to daycare feeling this way. *sigh* Any suggestions?

zen39
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
He's probably at the point where he is now fearful to have a bowel movement or refuses to. The problem here is that the longer the hold the poop in, the more the poop loses moisture and makes it even harder to pass.

Increase fiber at snack and lunch (blueberries, prunes, prune juice, flax seeds etc.).

Also, talk to the parent about Lansoyl. It tastes and looks like red jello but has something like 80% mineral oil. It makes it impossible for your child to hold in their poop. I've used it before with one of my children and it worked amazingly. She refused to go poo because something had the time had scared her about it, and she held it in and made herself constipated. I tried the prune juice but the lansoyl worked quickly for me to alleviate the problem. Once she had her BM I just made sure to increase her fiber intake and reduce binding foods (bananas and cheese) so that her future BM's would be just as easy.

Skysue
08-10-2011, 02:03 PM
1st off I would consider him ill and refuse care until his mom get him look at. What an unloving mother.

Prunes prunes and more prunes! No dairy until he has gone for a few days as it will only make matters worse.

You can get prunes in the baby food jars and they usually work within a few hours. If he is still backed up tomorrow refuse care.

Keep us posted!

Hugs!

Sue

I need some advice...

A child in my care has been badly constipated and hasn't been able to go for almost a week. He can go a little bit but screams and cries when he does. He is complaining about tummy pain and tries over and over to go with no luck. I spoke to his parent last thursday about this and gave my suggestions on what I feel might help. Today she brought me suppositories and said that it didn't work last night and she isn't will to try it again. She wont do it again but its okay for me to try? While watching 5 other children. Just seems like she can't be bothered to take him to the doctor to get some help for him. I feel aweful that he has to come to daycare feeling this way. *sigh* As a licensed daycare I am not willing to do suppositories nor do I think its my responsibility. What would you suggest I do? Do I refuse to accept him tomorrow if he still hasn't gone or send him home when it gets bad again today? I also suggest prune juice/ sauce which she decided not buy.

Feedback Please!

Sarah
08-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I need some advice...

A child in my care has been badly constipated and hasn't been able to go for almost a week. He can go a little bit but screams and cries when he does. He is complaining about tummy pain and tries over and over to go with no luck. I spoke to his parent last thursday about this and gave my suggestions on what I feel might help. Today she brought me suppositories and said that it didn't work last night and she isn't will to try it again. She wont do it again but its okay for me to try? While watching 5 other children. Just seems like she can't be bothered to take him to the doctor to get some help for him. I feel aweful that he has to come to daycare feeling this way. *sigh* As a licensed daycare I am not willing to do suppositories nor do I think its my responsibility. What would you suggest I do? Do I refuse to accept him tomorrow if he still hasn't gone or send him home when it gets bad again today? I also suggest prune juice/ sauce which she decided not buy.

Feedback Please!

To answer your question, I would NOT do it unless they bring me a doctors prescription for this over the counter medicine.

And all that was suggested is good.

We're still talking about pooh Skysue? hahaha!!!

playfelt
08-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I have a 3 year old in care now that has been having issues - we have tried it all including several weeks of lansol. He spent the weekend at the hospital for an enema and treatments after an enema at home even failed. This is not a condition to let go. If the child is complaining about pain then he should be considered sick and sent home. If suppositories aren't working then he needs to see a doctor and no it is not your responsibility to administer them even with a doctor's note.

Skysue
08-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Playfelt does your 3 year old in care eat a tone of dairy? This can be such a problem for blockage?

Yeah Sarah we just can't seem to get off this topic! Way too funny!

I have a 3 year old in care now that has been having issues - we have tried it all including several weeks of lansol. He spent the weekend at the hospital for an enema and treatments after an enema at home even failed. This is not a condition to let go. If the child is complaining about pain then he should be considered sick and sent home. If suppositories aren't working then he needs to see a doctor and no it is not your responsibility to administer them even with a doctor's note.

mom-in-alberta
08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Yikes!! Poor little bugger.... you don't say how old he is? But at this point I would absolutely begin to refuse care. If he can no longer participate in day-to-day activities (and I would say you are there), then he cannot be there. If you aren't quite ready to get tough with her yet, then for the child's sake I would throw as much fibre and liquid at him as possible. Let him drink a gallon of apple-prune, if you can get in into him.
Personally I am disgusted that this mom isn't taking it serious enough to get to the bleeding grocery store to pick up some prune juice. But it's ok for you to put pills up his little bum? Grrrrrrr.
And yes, girls; the poop talk goes on. I talked to two parents today about the subject!!

playfelt
08-11-2011, 12:37 PM
What was happening is just enough was coming out to irritate the area and he had red weeping sores. Which of course just complicated things more. His stools were tested for infections. He had some allergy testing and they are waiting for more. They tried taking him off dairy from a milk standpoint (ie just the obvious milk things not the kind from reading labels for hidden milk) and there was no change whatsoever. Even having extra water and juice didn't loosen it up which can actually give some kids the opposite problem. He eats fairly well for a 3 year old so getting enough food. Just feel very sorry for him and we both take a deep breath as I swipe as best I can for a diaper change.

sunnydays
08-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Poor little guy! It is definitely not our responsibility as providers to administer suppositories. There is no reason why that can't be done at home by his parents. If his mother can't do it, she should take him to the doctor for professional advice and help. Why traumatize the kid at daycare?! Very unfair of her to ask you that.