PDA

View Full Version : Tylenol as a toy to bring to day home

clep
08-10-2011, 11:00 AM
So I have a parent this morning lead her son in the day home room while he is carrying a bottle of tylenol. I let her know he could not have that in the day home and told her she had to take it with her. She informs me that the child didn't want to let it go and will cry when she takes it from him. I informed her of the regulation to have medications in a locked box behind a locked door and that he could not stay with the tylenol. She takes it and he throws a fit for an hour!!!!

The lack of common sense and boundaries astounds me at times. It was a terrible start to the day for everyone in the day home.

KingstonMom
08-10-2011, 11:06 AM
LMFAO!!!! Yea my kid grabs my prenatal vitamins just to shake the bottle, but under NO circumstances would I allow him to walk around thinking he can play with it, or let him unsupervised with it!! Even though they have "child proof locks" does not mean they are child proof!!
What would this woman ever do if her son managed to open it and ate the whole thing??
Not such a great toy idea. Same goes with keys...for different reasons. Nasty!!

You for sure did the right thing by standing your ground and maybe this woman will eventually see the logic!

Sarah
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I use to let my kid play with bottles when I was watching, but I don't anymore, cause they CAN open it, and I will never again take the chance to forget that my kid had it, then not pay attention, and there you go, could be too late! Anyway, if they like to shake them so much, take an empty bottle, fill it with noodles, glue de lid then give it to the kid! Not the medication!!!

Good thing you didn't agree to that...

Sarah

Skysue
08-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I had the same situation a few months back with a child, her Mom said there wasn't any tylonol in it just sillica. I still took it away from her as it just shows the younger kids that it's ok to play with these bottles. So scary!

Don't you love having to be the bad guy just so the parents can get off to work with no fusses! So not cool!

So I have a parent this morning lead her son in the day home room while he is carrying a bottle of tylenol. I let her know he could not have that in the day home and told her she had to take it with her. She informs me that the child didn't want to let it go and will cry when she takes it from him. I informed her of the regulation to have medications in a locked box behind a locked door and that he could not stay with the tylenol. She takes it and he throws a fit for an hour!!!!

The lack of common sense and boundaries astounds me at times. It was a terrible start to the day for everyone in the day home.

mom-in-alberta
08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Just silica, hey Skysue?? Isn't that the stuff that says "DO NOT INGEST... POISONOUS!" on the label?
Atta girl, mom, atta girl. Sheesshhh.
Just because it's medicine, doesn't make it safe! Are these parents going to let their child play with a bottle of bleach or a sharp knife? Noooo, that would be irresponsible. But equally dangerous.

fruitloop
08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
What an idiot! She won't take it away because the child will cry??? Seriously??? what is wrong with parents...put your big girl panties on and and be a parent! playing with any meds...vitamins or otherwise is dangerous! Some people never cease to amaze me!

Judy Trickett
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
How stupid do you really have to be to allow a child to carry around a bottle with enough pharmaceuticals to KILL him should he, or another child get into it??

Oh, and what ever happened to the word NO?? Is that now a swear word or a forbidden utterance??

Good gravy.

clep
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM
The word no is not used by many parents I find. I hear lots of barganing and parents trying to coax and beg their children to give them dangerous things. I hear them asking ten times over, thinking that the eighth time they ask will be more effective than the first or second. :) I am still amazed by the tylenol incident. It was a large bottle too. I did remind her that I had to have medication in a locked box behind a locked door as that is government regulations. She seemed unfazed by the incident. Mind you all three of her children are lacking severely in boundaries.

JHolkemama
08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
So if the situation was reversed, and she walked in on her son playing with the bottle of Tylenol in your care, I am sure she would freak, and find something very wrong with it! She would probably fall over if your excuse was that he would throw a fit if you tried to take it! And chances are she would terminate care and report you.....But ITS OK FOR HER... right? I just dont get some parents! They practice such horrible parenting skills, and want above and beyond from us... if only the tables were turned....Anyway, I am sorry you had such a rough start to the day, that is never fun :(

sunnydays
08-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I would never even let a child play with an empty medication bottle as it teaches them that it is an okay thing to play with. I would also never fill it with something safe to play with for the same reason. Better to use a water bottle, juice bottle, etc. And yes, it is ridiculous how parents cannot say no to their kids. I had a parent drop a child off with a ballpoint pen once (the child was 18 months) saying that he couldn't get it away from her. I easily took it and put it away as soon as the door closed. But this doesn't even compare to the Tylenol bottle!

Sarah
08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Maybe I forgot to mention it, but before giving the bottle to play with after filling it out with non dangerous materials, you have to decorate it so it doesn't look like a medication bottle anymore!

Tinkerbell
08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
how stupid do you really have to be to allow a child to carry around a bottle with enough pharmaceuticals to kill him should he, or another child get into it??

Oh, and what ever happened to the word no?? Is that now a swear word or a forbidden utterance??

Good gravy.

Hallelujah!!!