PDA

View Full Version : Little Tikes Picnic Tables

betsy
08-11-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking of using Little Tikes Picnic Tables for meals (indoors) and art tables.
One table can fit four....but I'm thinking of getting 2 tables so there's more elbow room when they do arts and craft. Brand new for each is $99.00.

What do you guys use? How much did you spend?

mimi
08-11-2013, 02:05 PM
I did use picnic tables when I first started for indoor meals, but I much prefer the Ikea round table with matching chairs. The kids are separated when they have their own chair which solves the "he's touching me" problem you might get if they are bench seated. Also, I like that a chair has a back on it to support their backs and keep them from falling backward off the picnic table. I also find the table has more crafting room. I think the Ikea table and chairs was at the most $100.00.
If you do opt for the picnic tables, shouldn't they be going on sale soon as it is a summer item?

apples and bananas
08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I don't like the idea of the picnic table. I don't think there's enough room. I would look into a table with separate chairs. It would be easier to store too I would think.

I have knows daycares to use the big 8 person round picnic tables for meal times, but they're so big. I'd hate to look at it all weekend. LOL I like to put things away Friday afternoon.

I would do some more searching to see what else you can do for 200, if that's what you want to spend. I think you might find some better solutions.

playfelt
08-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I have the hexagon shaped picnic table for outside and really like it. Was surprised that it is still stable even if kids are only on one side - toddlers of course. Use it only for their outside drinks.

Inside I have an actual daycare table with adjustable legs that is called flower or cloverleaf or something like that. Basically it has 6 indent places leaving lots of room between the kids and when they are pushed up for meals the table surrounds them a bit similar to the highchair trays. Got it used off ebay for the cost of the picnic tables you are looking at you would be surprised how cheap actual child size tables are.

Also look at Canadian Tire. I have seen a childsize table with plastic top and it folds up just like the adult 6 foot tables do. I have seen people use the plastic lawnchairs for seating at the table.

Another option is to take an adult size table from a garage sale and cut the legs down to make it child height.

The problem I find with the picnic table is that the table part isn't very wide meaning each child doesn't really have enough room to put their stuff.

Skysue
08-11-2013, 07:48 PM
I use a picnic table but mine is large and can sit 6 comfortably.

I wouldn't spend too much try and find a really good used one or I would go ikea! They use them at Chapters and they hold up well and the circle is great for craft.

I bought mine for $30.00 used but it was in mint condition.

Skysue
08-11-2013, 07:51 PM
were r you located? I'm a wizz at finding amazing deals. p.m me if you want some help.

Harmoni
09-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I use the Step 2 large picnic table. It seats 6 five year olds just fine on the bench with molded in bum spots...So that stops the sitting to close to annoy someone scenario. When not in use between meals/crafts and off hours I just tip it up on its side and slide into the corner of my dining room! Sure saves my elegant dining suite!!

torontokids
09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
I bought 2 Ikea lack tables (9.99 each) and added 4 chairs, have 2 in high chairs.

daycaremum
09-13-2013, 01:38 PM
I use the large little tykes picnic table that's seats can fold down so the whole thing is flat and can be stored against a wall somewhere when not in use. Have used it for the last 13 years, same table. It can seat 6 three year olds.