PDA

View Full Version : Soo absolutely annoyed by some ads!!!

mamabearto3
08-14-2013, 01:20 PM
who can advertise 25$ per day like who does that!!! there are 2 or 3 people posting ads in our local websites and its making me bonkers.... the norm is 40 and up. omigosh I wish I wasn't surfing online and checking out other ads.

sigh. thanks for the rant

apples and bananas
08-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh, that would annoy me too.

Daycare's that offer care at $25 a day attract the type of client that can afford $25.00 a day. The same kind of client that needs crazy hours, always runs late and never pays on time.

No thank you! Ask what you deserve and you will attract that kind of client that will respect you for that.

mamabearto3
08-14-2013, 01:59 PM
ur right I know... but still makes me nuts becuz we put soo much effort in our services and some people don't make it look professional by doing stuff like this!! argh

Trace of Angels
08-14-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree so much with you Apples and Bananas. I am (I'm sure) the highest price home daycare provider in my area........... (and I don't even charge that much!) But I do a little test with all new potential families.........if one of the first three questions is how much do I charge then I politely tell them that I am sorry but at this time I have no available spaces to fill your childcare needs.
If they are only concerned about the bottom line then usually they don't care too much about quality of care.
I understand everyone has a budget in todays financial hardships but to be soooo concerned about price is a big red flag I've found most times.

2cuteboys
08-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I agree with traceofangels! I just had a family email me inquiring about spots. I emailed them back my standard response, telling them a bit about me, my program, and asking a few questions. She emails me back a 2 line response, basically saying what are your rates and can you do a half hour later, because I don't want to waste time talking to you if those two things won't work for us. I was stunned! I still haven't responded.

I probably would have taken their daughter a half hour later as it is only a couple of days a week, but not after that email!

Trace of Angels
08-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Good for you 2cutecoys!!!!!
You probably dodged a serious bullett!!!

momofnerds
08-14-2013, 05:51 PM
ya, well theres an ad right now on kijijji in my area advertising for 15 dollars a day. I also find that this person is always advertising so makes me wonder.

mimi
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
If I was looking for daycare and saw a low ball daily rate I would wonder if they are a saint, just stupid (or both) or are they only supplying the bare minimum in terms of food quality, recreation, daycare equipment, toys and program. A ridiculously low daily rate smacks of desperation.

Daisy123
08-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Here I find a few providers advertising $25/day but I live in a smaller area with lower income jobs. This thread caught my eye because it highlights a dilemma for me right now. Myself I charge $35/day for a full day but when I look to fill part time spots I advertise what I will charge for a half day (less than 4 hours). Just out of curiosity, do the ads that you mention include if that price is for a full day? I certainly agree that low prices attract a certain kind of buyers though. Opinions... should I be advertising my full day price only?

apples and bananas
08-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Yes, advertise your full day price only. Interested people will ask if you have a half day rate.

My area is in the $35.00 range. However, there is a massive daycare centre opening close to me in the next few months and they charge 15 - 20 dollars more a day then the home daycares in the area... hmmm... I think I just heard my rates go up. LOL

Half days are not ideal. I allow them to my current clients but I never bring anyone new on under those prices. There's too much of a demand in my area.

busydaycarelady
08-15-2013, 08:08 AM
I know. I've seen people in my area recently advertise 15-20$ per day. One even offers FULL time care for $400/month and $600 for siblings. Are you $&@!ing kidding me?! It's insane

playfelt
08-15-2013, 08:22 AM
These are generally people that are just starting out and have not factored in the costs of providing that care. They assume $25 is the same $5 they pay their teen babysitter - again lowest end of the scale. Once they have been in the business for awhile it all hits them and they decide to become more businesslike.

pink
08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
When, I moved to Limoges, On, last year the rate was 28.00 to 30.00 per day. No way, I was going to charge that rate my rate is 35 a day and I don't agree. I came from Riverside South and my rate was $45.00 a day. When, you live on the outskirts of Ottawa, I am not very close to grocery store its about 15 minutes away on the highway and I find the groceries more expensive. I would love to increase my rates to $36.50 per day in January, I feel that if I do, I will not get any clients. I have one spot available.

giraffe
08-16-2013, 01:05 PM
My sister lives in Limoges... funny! It is such a small town you dont come across people from there very often.

abster
08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I too just seen someone in my area advertising for 100$ a week full time rate. Ugh....

buzygirl
08-21-2013, 01:21 PM
I charge $35 per day for ages 1-4. Is this a normal charge for someone with over 16 years experience, E.C.E qualified, First aid training up dated yearly and giving out tax receipts?

daycaremom9
08-21-2013, 03:16 PM
I find that that's one of the first questions that I'm asked by the majority of people looking for daycare.

Daisy123
08-21-2013, 03:21 PM
It really depends on your area. I find it hard to be competitive and to still make enough money. I charge $35/day but I am discovering that if I am willing to work until 6 (I much prefer my 4:30s) parents are willing to pay extra. I heard of one family paying $45/day in my area for their daughter to stay a longer day.

Carie6565
11-21-2013, 05:28 AM
I understand you as well

mickyc
11-21-2013, 09:49 AM
In Manitoba the going rate is from $25-$35 a day. Not too many over $30. I started out 3 years ago charging $27. I have increased my fee to $28 for the long term ones and have started charging $30 for new kids. I really don't know how people can only charge $25 a day with the prices of everything going up. I would love to charge $35 but I know there would be no way I could fill spots as I am a bit of a drive for most.

I have a family member who lives in another city who pays $20 a day for daycare. I don't know how she does it, I really don't. (she doesn't do any sort of crafts though so that could be part of it).

5 Little Monkeys
11-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm in MB and have been open for 2 years and always charged $30. When I see people charging $35, I wonder how quickly they fill their spots because I know lots think I'm expensive and when I see some charging $20 I think they are either going over the limit or are in a good financial spot to be able to offer care for that cheap.

I don't take offense when a parent questions how much I charge because I know that if I were looking for daycare that would be in my top 3 questions as well. When I buy or need a service of any kind the price is always first in my mind.

I do wonder how people charge so little but then I just have too remind myself that everyone has a different standard of living and maybe they can afford to charge that price.....and if they can't, they will learn quickly and raise their price! lol

CrazyEight
11-21-2013, 07:03 PM
I can understand your frustration, and obviously rates are higher than that in your area, but I charge $25 a day for kids over 2, and $30 for kids under 2. It's not alot, but that's the going rate in my area, where there is an abundance of people offering care and the average income is quite low. If I raised my prices I'd lose my kids. Just saying, that's not that low in certain areas, and not everyone offering that is trying to cut corners.

gravy_train
11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
This makes no sense to me - why wouldn't people just charge average or a bit more to increase the average rate in your area? It hurts everyone in the business to undercut your competition.

5 Little Monkeys
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
gravy train....I completely agree and these people who can afford to charge so little are hurting it for us who do this to make money. However, some of the people who can afford to offer it cheaper are doing so because they want to offer affordable daycare for those who need it. Their intentions are in the right place for parents but unfortunately it hurts other dcp's.

cfred
11-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I truly believe it's all in what you offer. I'm $5 higher than most other providers in my area and haven't had a problem getting clients. I hone in a specific type of client and cater my advertising, interviews and offerings to them. In return I have a roster of excellent clients...really excellent. Don't let those who undercut get your goat. They're going to soak up those clients we don't want. Might sound elitist, but whatever. It's a business and we're here to make money whilst doing exemplary work in our field. If someone wants to come in and take up those people only concerned about money, then good on them. Enjoy THAT client base! We had 2 providers open up locally charging $30/day. Most in our area are at $40, but some are starting to charge more. I felt some concern till I read her ad. Nope....not concerned.

Don't worry about it. Take it as an opportunity to see how to make parents see how you're worth so much more even before they call for an interview. Advertising style is everything when getting people in your door. Then you win them over with your sparkling personality and kick bum daycare set up and skills :)