PDA

View Full Version : Leamington ON

emada87
08-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Hey everyone! First post, but have been reading for awhile. I'm going to be moving to Leamington ON before the end of the year...anyone know what the demand is there? I've tried contacting the Early Years Center but didn't get a response. My SIL believes there is as there was when her daughters were younger....but I'd like a more updated idea haha.

Thanks!

playfelt
08-20-2013, 07:35 AM
When you are house hunting be sure the realtor you get knows that you plan to open a home daycare and let him know what that means for the house in terms of layout, basement space, yard space etc. But also, they will be able to steer you to areas of town that have a lot of younger families or on the travel routes for major industries which will increase your chances of finding clients.

I think there is a market for care in any city if you purchase in the right neighbourhood, school zone, traffic flow area but as with anything new it takes time to get noticed.

If you can find the postal code for something in Leamington and then put that into the search box on the daycarebear homepage it will bring up a listing of caregivers in the area. That will give you an idea of the hours, fees, set ups to see what the norms are for the area so you can plan accordingly.

Momof4
08-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the forum emada and I wish you success with your plans. I grew up near Leamington, was born in that hospital and attended that high school. You just missed the big tomato fesitval, haha. Anyway, that town has grown by leaps and bounds in the last decade, lots of new subdivisions and keep in mind that people drive in to work from all around out in the country.

In the city people complain if they have to drive 1/2 an hour to get to the other side but out in the country we grew up knowing that you have to drive 1/2 an hour to get to any town! It's a different mentality. Any time you buy a house in a new subdivision you are going to be near lots of young families. As playfelt said, talk to the realtor about all these things.

playfelt
08-20-2013, 10:05 AM
One thing when we are house hunting - hubby is military so we have relocated a few times is that it is important to consider not being on the outskirts if possible as people have a mental block when it comes to back tracking to work so you need to find people that can come to you on their way as compared to driving to you and then driving back to where they started before driving into work. Not to say you can't attract these kinds of people but it is a lot easier to keep spaces filled if you are drawing from a larger pool of people driving your way.

emada87
09-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think we might end up at my mother in laws for a bit when we first get there so it's going to be awhile before I'm up and running but definitely all good points!

mimi
09-14-2013, 09:05 AM
welcome emada87 and good luck with your move.:)