PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to charge?

canadianjule
08-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone!

I currently have 4 children (2 are my own) in my daycare full time (8am-5pm, five times a week). My own daughter will be starting JK this fall and will be attending school from 9:10am until 11:40pm (leaving the house in the morning for her bus at 8:40am - but my hubby does drop off :) and returning to our home around noon (I will be picking her up at the corner of our street along with the other 3 kiddos).

A mom on my street came to me the other day and asked if I would watch her 2 yr old girl from 9 until 11:30am , five days a week. I am thinking that this might be a perfect way to make a little extra money. She is looking for care starting in October 2011 and going until May 2012 at which point she will then be enrolled in a three year old preschool program full time.

I never wanted to have more than 4 children in my care at one time and this would work out perfectly as the little girl would be picked up before I had to leave to get my own daughter.

Seeing as though it is only for 2.5 hours I am not sure what to charge. I am thinking about $25 as that will include a morning snack at 9am and lunch at 11am.

The main reason that this mother wants her child to come to my daycare is so that she can improve her English skills. The grandmother speaks only Korean to her at home and the mom and dad speak English and Korean with her.

I am wondering if $25 is a fair price to charge or if I should just skip it all together??

thoughts please !!!

Play and Learn
08-14-2011, 01:52 PM
First question I have for you: How much is a full day of care?

The question you have to ask is, is this kid eating lunch with you? If so, charge almost full-day rates, if not, charge a little less.

canadianjule
08-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I charge $43/day for full time care (that includes morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack). She will only be here for morning snack and lunch and then she will leave right after we finish at 11:30am. Her total time in care will be 2.5 hours a day.

Play and Learn
08-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Because your rates are higher than mine, I was gonna say $25 is a good price (according to mine). Personally, I would go with $30 - as you're having her for two meals (a.m. snack and lunch).

If mom doesn't like it, then suggest that she stay for a bit longer - maybe 3.5 hours to get her monies worth!

Skysue
08-14-2011, 07:23 PM
I would talk to the mother about care and tell her what the spot is worth because now your out a full time spot. I would charge her for 1/2 a day even if it's for only 2 hours a day. Give her a time frame for part time and let her know that is the spot she pays for regardless if the child is in care or not. Get her to sign the contract for specific drop off and pick up times this way she won't be able to take advantage.

Tell her upfront that you can't go any lower than 1/2 a day!

canadianjule
08-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Oh, I will definitely set the terms in the contract to state that drop off will be at 9am and pick up will be at 11:30am and that there is no possibilty of extension of time as I need to get my other three little ones ready to go and pick up my daughter for noon at the bus stop. It should not be a problem as the person that is doing the pick up is home all day (the little girl's grandmother).

Seeing as though my daily full time rate is $45.64 ($43 + vacation pay added in) I feel like $25 for 2.5 hours is acceptable even though it is a little more than half my daily rate.

Anyways we will see what happens once I send mum the price and my lengthy polices and procedures handbook via email. No guarantee that she will even want to go with me once she reads through everything and sees the price I am offering.

Thanks for your suggestions ladies :)

Judy Trickett
08-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I would charge her half day fees.

BUT.......make sure you are 100% clear that the parent picks up at the 11:30am pick up time or you are gonna find yourself taking her to the bus stop.

canadianjule
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
I would charge her half day fees.

BUT.......make sure you are 100% clear that the parent picks up at the 11:30am pick up time or you are gonna find yourself taking her to the bus stop.

May seem like a silly question but I don't currently have half day fees as I only have 2 dck that come full time ($45.64/day or $ 228.20/week). I originally only wanted full time for this exact reason of not wanting to deal with half days, part time, full time etc. but the extra money right now would be good and the timing is great as my little girl will be gone in the morning for JK.

What would you think would be a reasonable amount for a half day fee (and I guess this would be anything that would be less than 4.5 hours seeing as though I am open for a max of 9 hours a day for full time)?

Sorry to be such a pain but I just want to make sure I am charging an appropriate amount.

thanks!

Play and Learn
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
$30/half day seems fair to me.