PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having a hard time filling spots?

Skysue
08-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I am looking to fill 2 more spots for Sept & I have had my ad out there on Kijiji.ca since June and only responses I have gotten are for people looking for care for young babies or before and after school. Two things I'm not looking for!

Am I being too picky?

Play and Learn
08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Do you have a listing on daycarebear? That's where the majority of parents have found me. Yes, you're being picky - but it is your business! You have to deal with the people you take on!

Other places where I've advertised:
-daycarecanada
-online parent magazines - i think one of them was parent review
-because i'm close to Ottawa, I used usedottawa.com, as well as kijiji.ca
-flyers on local mailboxes, grocery stores
-Early Years Centers

Good luck, and keep being picky! You'll fill up soon enough - only took me a year!
-

Sarah
08-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Yeah me too I'm having a hard time. Out of 3 spots, only one is filled up, by a 12 months old.

My house is clean, I have 2 playrooms, a big backyard, a trampoline, swings and slides, but no one take the spot. Also have experience, references, everything!

I'm thinking of lowering my fees... :(

I need the money. Paying a house in QC, paying an appartement in TO, 3 kids to feed, prepare for school in 2 weeks, etc... :(

Sorry I took your post to complain but I had to let it out, it's killing me!

Sarah

Play and Learn
08-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Also have experience, references, everything!

I'm thinking of lowering my fees... :(

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't lower your fees.....makes the rest of us look bad for charging so much (even when we aren't). It took me a full year before filling up. Could you take on another job that you could do at home while waiting for little ones to take your spots? (Ie: Stampin' UP!, Tupperware, Epicure, Avon, Pampered Chef, etc....)

Emilys4Guppies
08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
I am looking for 12mo and so I've had no trouble filling my spots. But, all my interest is from parents of infants...no preschoolers at all. I advertised my empty spots in May for summer care and got nothin'.

Sarah
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't lower your fees.....makes the rest of us look bad for charging so much (even when we aren't). It took me a full year before filling up. Could you take on another job that you could do at home while waiting for little ones to take your spots? (Ie: Stampin' UP!, Tupperware, Epicure, Avon, Pampered Chef, etc....)

I know Play and Learn, I know! I do not want to lower my fees but I do need the income. I will look into the things you suggested for sure! Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know if it works out

Judy Trickett
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
This year is very slow, IMO. I am in this 8 years now and I have never seen it as slow as it is out there. This year will be a true mark for the lifers versus the newbies or those just in it to "stay home with their own kids". Not that there is anything wrong with any of those reasons but the lifers will stay in and endure the slow economy and everyone else will get out of the biz. I can see a lot of providers closing up shop this year.

Sandbox Sally
08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Sarah and Skysue,

Not even kidding - with the exception of one call, I got ALL my interviews from craigslist. If you're not on there, do it now! As I said in another post as well, take the time to make a nice and informative website. My responses literally tripled when I put up a link to my website on my craigslist ad.

sunnydays
08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I second what Alphaghetti said about the website! I am a new provider and have filled all my spots and have a waiting list (those people probably have found something else by now, but still). Since you mentioned that you have a trampoline, do you think some parents are scared away by that like they would be by a pool? They are known for injuries in chidren. It's just a thought and may depend on the ages you are looking for. If you don't want babies are school agers, you are quite limited...I had almost no calls about preschoolers...they already have daycares!

Sarah
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I personnally do have a website, and I post every five days on kijiji AND craigslist. Most of the replies I get are either from kijiji or people visiting my website. Some from craigslist also.

I cannot beleive that a trampoline would scare people off. I mean, it's not more dangerous than riding a bike! And people do it. And it's lots of fun. And anyway, all my visits were for 12 months old babies, so the trampoline doesn't really apply to them!

Ah I guess I will try harder and wait! Or as Judy says, I'll be one of the not lifers!!! I'm in it for my kids, I might as well do something else, such as crafting, as suggested by Play and learn!

Play and Learn
08-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with any of those reasons but the lifers will stay in and endure the slow economy and everyone else will get out of the biz. I can see a lot of providers closing up shop this year.

There are two providers in my area that are closing up by end of September - so I'm receiving some calls - just for the little ones!

But I do agree that there is not many calls for the preschoolers - they're going to nursery school and preschool programs now!

Skysue
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I will try craigslist thanks! I have no money for a website. Is there a way to do it for free? I will take babies but not 9 months. I already have a 3 year old, 2 18-20 month olds and was hoping for 2 year olds. I supose people are working around getting child care to avoid paying alot. This economy really does suck. I have turned a few away and now I have regrests as the added income would be nice! :(

Play and Learn
08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
I will try craigslist thanks! I have no money for a website. Is there a way to do it for free?

Webs.com - that's what I use for both businesses. Just make sure you add it to all your ads so then they can read about you before calling you!

Skysue
08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Done and done!

Thanks!

Webs.com - that's what I use for both businesses. Just make sure you add it to all your ads so then they can read about you before calling you!