PDA

View Full Version : Thrush

momof5
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I haven't posted in awhile, but now I really need your great advice,
Dcm mom dropped off late today, ( dcb had routine check up) when she dropped him off she told me he has Thrush! Dr has given prescription meds.

Question should I allow him to come tomorrow? Or tell her 24 hrs. On his meds before he can return?
Thanks for all your great advice!

Fun&care
08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Is the thrush in his mouth and due to breast feeding? That's really the only kind I'm familiar with...first of all, I certainly wouldn't appreciate a parent dropping off a kid with thrush without talking to me about it first. And it depends on the age and everything, if he is young and mouthing everything but has thrush in his mouth that would really erk me, if I were you I would be tempted to request a doctors note stating that he is not contagious and may attend daycare. Maybe the rest of the ladies here have more knowledge...

playfelt
08-28-2013, 01:03 PM
If you let the child stay today after not having even started his meds there really isn't much point in excluding him tomorrow is there? When these things come up I use the health unit handout which lists all of the diseases, incubation periods, suggested exclusions etc. Age of child makes a difference too.

momof5
08-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Mom dropped him off after lunch right at nap time. And only said it as she closed the door behind her! I was shocked, and I put him down for nap and have been searching for information to back myself up if I tell her he can't come tomorrow.

He's 15 months, he does try and put his hands in his mouth, I know both parents allow him to put his hands in.

playfelt
08-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Looks like they don't exclude specifically for thrush in daycares/schools in Ottawa

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/public-health/resources-teachers-and-employers/guidelines-communicable-disease-and-other#P95_4771

However many have a must be on meds for 24 hours before returning to the daycare to cover things.

This is one of those areas where feeling spiteful is normal. She did not discuss this with you at all and did not tell you till it was almost too late for you to react. If she had gotten his meds right away, given him a dose and another bedtime, and tomorrow morning you could have accepted him back for tomorrow. But since it will be only two doses of meds before daycare then you have the choice. I like to see three doses of meds in them before coming to me 1) so reactions happen at home and it often takes more than one dose to show, 2) because it starts to work and there is some protection 3) child is less likely to be complaining from whatever they are suffering with.

momof5
08-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks Playfelt! This is what I was hoping to hear. I am going to tell her tonight that he must stay home tomorrow! Very frustrating, now I will do a major clean tonight!

Judy Trickett
08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I had a dcgirl with "thrush" once. Only it was misdiagnosed. It was actually hand-foot-and-mouth disease. I sort of wondered but when EVERY one of my dckids came down with it about 3 days later I KNEW it was misdiagnosed.

Don't trust doctor's diagnoses - they are often wrong and they almost always tell the parents it's okay for the kid to attend daycare. Well, it is MY (YOUR) daycare and YOU make the rules as to when and who attends. So, in this case you should have sent that kid home.

I find it VERY unlikely that a 15 mth old would have thrush. It's likely NOT trush. It's more likely HFM or strep.

momof5
08-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Well Mom just picked him up, I told her he needs to stay at home tomorrow. She was very surprised that I had taken the time to do my 'homework' about this being contagious. She was disappointed that I won't allow him here until a full 24 hr on meds. They are the type of parents that will drop him off because it makes their days so much easier. ( both took the summer off).

Momof4
08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Thrush is candida yeast. It appears white on the tongue. I thought only young babies got this before they started solid food, but I'm not sure. My Dad got it very bad on his tongue as he was dying, but I'm sure it isn't contagious.

Daisy123
08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
I don't believe that thrush is overly contagious seeing as it's an overgrowth of candida (assuming that it is thrush). I'd clean anyways just in case especially seeing as it can be caused by illness anyways.

mimi
08-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Was this child recently on antibiotics? The overgrowth of candida is a common result of antibiotic use. I always tell my clients whose children are on antibiotics to take probiotics so the overgrowth of yeast does not occur. I also recommend they speak to their physician or pharmacist first because there are so many different probiotics.

Crayola kiddies
08-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Usually when you go on penicillin if you don't eat yoghurt or take yoghurt pills then you will get a yeast infection. However in my policy book it says that if a child is on antibiotics they are excluded from daycare until 48 hours after the first dose. Most antibiotics take 48 hours to kick in..... But if its an ear infection (or similar) that is not contagious then as long as the child is happy and can cope then I let them back after 24 hours.
Mom of 5 do you have any spaces ???? I have someone needing a space in oct for a 12 month old but I'm full..... Message me if you do !!! Thanks