PDA

View Full Version : Drinks During The Day

FSD
08-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi all...quick question ~ do you have drinks available throughout the day for the kiddos, or just during snack/meal times?

bright sparks
08-29-2013, 07:04 AM
I usually just have water available at snack and meal times but during particularly hot periods I may have labeled sippy cups in the room with us. They are not allowed to walk around with them, just go have a few slurps and put your cup back in the tray and carry on playing. If a child is potty training then no drinks in the playroom.

playfelt
08-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Drinks only at snack and meals but on hot days we have drink breaks where we get up to the table and have just a drink. It is also my way of settling them down to rest a bit. I have a fan in the light above the table and sometimes put that on if we have been particularly busy and that cools us nicely while we drink. Sometimes the older ones will ask me if it is fan time (meaning drink and fan).

Momof4
08-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Oh.......I thought you wanted to have drinks during the day. Well, there are days like that!!! :laugh:

Just kidding. I use the Tupperware plastic cups with lids and keep them full all day with water. I leave them on the edge of the dining room table and my dckids know the rule is that they are allowed to go out there any time at all and have a big drink, then put their cups back up on the table. No spills or problems and they can rehydrate any time they feel the need. It's important. Each child has a different colour of cup, so they know their own cup.

cfred
08-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Lol....I was on the same train of thought as Momof4, hahaha! Some days, I'd be all over that like white on rice! Just kidding.....sort of ;)

I always have water available during outside play in the back yard. I use the coloured sippy cups (not sure what brand). Every child has the same coloured cup at every single meal, snack, etc. This way, they're trained to use only their colour so I can just leave them out during outdoor play and they typically only grab their own cups. During indoor play, I don't find it necessary to leave drinks out but always, always, always during outdoor play. But they're not allowed to run around the yard with them. If they want a drink, they're to sit on the ground by the deck, then leave their cups on the edge of the deck before returning to play.

jammiesandtea
08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Oh.......I thought you wanted to have drinks during the day. Well, there are days like that!!! :laugh:

Too funny, Momof4! When I read the thread headline, I have to admit I thought I was about to read a post by someone who wondered if it was okay to knock back a few cocktails during the childcare day! LOL! (Well, come on, most of us have wished it were possible some days!) :laugh:

I use cups with lids as well, and the children are not allowed to carry them around, but they can go to the table where I leave them (whether we're inside or outside) and have a drink as needed, and then put their cup back and rejoin the group. I serve only water, no milk or juice. (juice is just sugar-water and I find my current kids are drinking more than enough milk at home, so water it is.)

Judy Trickett
08-29-2013, 09:41 AM

That was my first thought too! But dammit, unfortunately the answer is NO. But I do wonder how much better my job performance might be some days if I was actually allowed to drink. :laugh:

FSD
08-29-2013, 10:07 AM
HAHAHA! You ladies are too funny!! :) Although there are many MANY days when I would like to replace my coffee with a mug of wine! lol

Thanks for your responses. I have a very young group and they have no concept of which colour cup is theirs...they see a cup, they drink from it! So far, I've only been giving them water or very watered down juice during snack and milk with lunch, as well as water during outdoor play.

mimi
08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
When we are outside everyone has a colour coded cup to drink from as they please. They do know that the cups must remain on the table, of course they often walk away with them so my neighbors must be sick of hearing "cups on the table" over and over when we are in the backyard.

SongSparrow
08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
We take water outside on hot days but not usually in the cooler weather. Water to drink at snacks and milk with lunch. And my play area is open concept with my kitchen so I can easily get a drink of water for them if one of the kids asks.

momofnerds
08-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Just kidding. I use the Tupperware plastic cups with lids and keep them full all day with water. I leave them on the edge of the dining room table and my dckids know the rule is that they are allowed to go out there any time at all and have a big drink, then put their cups back up on the table. No spills or problems and they can rehydrate any time they feel the need. It's important. Each child has a different colour of cup, so they know their own cup.

thats what I do, and I also use tape to write their names on the cups. The tupperware cups I use are the ones that you put a straw in them. They have a lid, so when you pull the straw out it seals. I love them.